Information about mint: United States Mint, Charlotte
|Mint name||United States Mint, Charlotte|
|Location||Charlotte, North Carolina|
|Dates||1835 - 1861|
The Charlotte Mint was a branch of the United States Mint specializing in gold coinage, that came into existence on March 3, 1835, during the Carolina Gold Rush.
In May 1861, North Carolina seceded from the Union. The Confederacy took control of the Charlotte Mint. The Confederate government continued coining operations until October when it became clear it was a futile effort. The mint was then converted into a hospital and military office space for the remainder of the Civil War.
Federal troops used the offices for the first few years of Reconstruction. In 1867, the U.S. government designated it an assay office. In 1873, the General Assembly of North Carolina petitioned Congress to reopen the mint at Charlotte. This request was denied.