|Coin||Five Dollars Silver 2021 Happy Valentine's Day|
The Cook Islands, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar circulates in parallel with the local Cook Islands Dollar; at the same time, the government also authorises many legal tender coins in the Cook Islands Dollar currency for collector's purposes.
Collector coins are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to the country itself. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, but the silver $5 (Five Dollars) - like this coin - are not; their weight is more than a half ounce but less than one ounce, and is "metric".
This coin is part of a heart-shaped series issued (almost) annually with a new design every year.
The Mint says about it:
February 14th. A day for all lovers. And the 2021 edition of the Silver Hearts collection originated in 2005 is the perfect gift for that important occasion. The overarching motif of love is captured in this heart shaped coin measuring 37×37 mm. The modern and fresh appeal is obtained by the application of Swarovski elements, heart shaped clear crystals and an illustrated cute bird couple. This remarkable coin will surely put a smile on your loved one’s face.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II COOK ISLANDS 5 DOLLARS.
The reverse is coloured and depicts a pair of lovebirds. Above them, three heart-shaped crystal inserts.
On three lines above, the inscription reads HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. Below the second line is a thin horizontal line interrupted by a small 2021 for the date of issue (mintage is also limited to the same number).
||HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2021
Finish: proof, coloured, crystal inserts.
CIT Item ID: 29413
Coins in the Silver Hearts collection include:
- $5 Silver, Endless Love, (Northern Mariana Islands) 2005
- $10 Silver, Endless Love, (Liberia) 2006
- $5 Silver, Angel and Devil, (Palau) 2007
- $5 Silver, Everlasting Love, (Cook Islands) 2008
- $5 Silver, Missing You, (Palau) 2009
- 1/2 oz Silver ($2), My Heart Flies for You, (Palau) 2012
- 1000 Francs CFA, Heart of Love, (Cameroon) 2013
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2014
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2017
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2019
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2021
- $5 Silver, Brilliant Love, (Cook Islands) 2022