|Coin||Five Dollars Silver 2009 Missing You|
The Republic of Palau is an island country in the western Pacific, in free association with the United States. In one way or another, the country has been under US administration since it was established, and has never had its own separate currency - it has always used the US Dollar. However, Palau allows some foreign mints to issue coins under its authority; these are denominated in US Dollars but are only legal tender in Palau, so can in a way be considered to be in "Palau Dollars", even though such a currency does not officially exist.
The coins are usually dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to the country itself. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, but some of the silver $5 (five dollars) - such as this coin - are not; their weight is more than a half ounce but less than one ounce, and is "metric" - 25 grams of silver.
This coin is part of a heart-shaped series issued (almost) annually with a new design every year.
The obverse of the coin features the unofficial "Emblem of Palau" used on much of the country's coinage. It has an ornate shield at centre, on which is depicted the sea god Neptune, crowned and seated on a round stone and holding a trident in his left hand; on the right, a bare breasted mermaid; on the left, a treasure chest. The ground is a beach, featuring waves and a starfish. Above Neptune, a star. Below the waves, the inscription RAINBOW'S END. Above the shield is a native rowing in a single-outrigger canoe.
Around above, surrounded by three stars on the left and three stars on the right, the name of the country: *** REPUBLIC OF PALAU ***.
Below, the face value $5 (five dollars).
The reverse is coloured and depicts two cherubs, with three heart shapes above them, one of them made of a crystal insert.
Near the rim on the right, the date of issue 2009. In the exergue, the inscription missing you...
||missing you... 2009
Finish: proof, coloured, crystal insert, special shape.
CIT Item ID: 23483
Coins in the Silver Hearts collection include:
- $5 Silver, Endless Love, (Northern Mariana Islands) 2005
- $10 Silver, Endless Love, (Liberia) 2006
- $5 Silver, Angel and Devil, (Palau) 2007
- $5 Silver, Everlasting Love, (Cook Islands) 2008
- $5 Silver, Missing You, (Palau) 2009
- 1/2 oz Silver ($2), My Heart Flies for You, (Palau) 2012
- 1000 Francs CFA, Heart of Love, (Cameroon) 2013
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2014
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2017
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2019
- $5 Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, (Cook Islands) 2021
- $5 Silver, Brilliant Love, (Cook Islands) 2022