|Coin||Gold Ounce 2022 Goddesses of Olympus - Aphrodite|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the gold ounce format (abbreviated as 1 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
This coin is part of the Goddesses of Olympus (continuation of Gods of Olympus) series of premium bullion coins by the Perth Mint, which started in 2014 and then continued in 2020. This issue is dedicated to Aphrodite.
In ancient Greek mythology, Aphrodite was worshipped as the Goddess of Love, Pleasure and Beauty, and exciting passion in the hearts of gods and people.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1oz 9999 GOLD 2022 TUVALU 100 DOLLARS.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content: one troy ounce of 99.99% gold.
The portrait of the Queen has a mirror finish; the rest of the surface is frosted.
The reverse of the coin portrays Aphrodite on the beach, sitting on the Rock of Aphrodite, surrounded by scallop shells, holding a mirror in her left hand, and a pigeon perched on her right hand. It is accompanied by a swan and three dolphins, with the ocean and clouds in the background.
Around below, the inscription APHRODITE. The Perth Mint's P mint mark is on the left. Below right, just above the tip of the swan's wing, the designer's initials TV, for Thomas Vaughan.
Gold Content (Troy oz): 1.000
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, frosted surfaces.
Packaging: in capsule, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity by LPM (exclusive distributor).
Date of issue: September 2022.
Issue price: US$ 2,246.48
Coins in the Gods of Olympus series issued for Tuvalu include (ordered by design / metal / size / year):
- 1 oz Gold, Zeus 2021
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Zeus 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Zeus 2014
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Zeus 2020
- 1 oz Gold, Poseidon 2021
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Poseidon 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Poseidon 2014
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Poseidon 2021
- 1 oz Gold, Hades 2021
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Hades 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Hades 2014
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Hades 2021
- 1 oz Gold, Hera 2022
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Hera 2022
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Hera 2015
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Hera 2022
- 1 oz Gold, Athena 2022
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Athena 2022
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Athena 2015
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Athena 2022
- 1 oz Gold, Aphrodite 2022
- 5 oz Silver (with Antique version), Aphrodite 2022
- 2 oz Silver Antique, Aphrodite 2015
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with Antique version), Aphrodite 2022