|Coin||Silver Ounce 2021 James Bond - Sean Connery|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the silver ounce format (abbreviated as 1 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
This 1oz silver proof coloured coin is the first issue in the James Bond Legacy Series by the Perth Mint.
The Mint says about it:
The Perth Mint pays tribute to the late Sir Sean Connery with this special silver proof coin for fans of James Bond and collectors of official movie memorabilia. Sean Connery was the first actor to play fictional British Secret Service agent James Bond on the big screen. Chosen for the role by producers Cubby Broccoli and Harry Saltzman, who acquired the rights to Ian Fleming’s Bond novels in 1961, his powerful portrayal in Dr. No immediately established the charismatic operative also known as 007 as one of cinema’s most recognisable characters. For many fans he remains the quintessential Bond.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1 oz 9999 Ag 2021 TUVALU 1 DOLLAR.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content. "1 oz 9999 Ag" means "one ounce of 99.99% silver" ("Ag" is abbreviated from Argentum, the Latin word for silver).
The coin’s reverse portrays a black and white image of Sean Connery in a classic James Bond pose.
The design also includes the franchise’s iconic 007 gun amid inscriptions of Connery’s triumphant Bond movies released between 1962 and 1971 - Dr. No, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and Diamonds Are Forever (the word Forever repeated six times).
||Dr. No FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE GOLDFINGER THUNDERBALL YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE Diamonds Are Forever
Silver Content (Troy oz): 1.000
Finish: proof, coloured.
Packaging: in a 007 branded presentation case and themed shipper., with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth Mint Item ID: 21L32AAA
Issue price: AU$ 130.00, US$ 92.45
Coins featuring James Bond and issued for Tuvalu by the Perth Mint:
- 1 oz Gold, James Bond - 007, 2020
- 1/4 oz Gold Proof, James Bond - 007, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured High Relief, James Bond - 007, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, James Bond - 007, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - GoldenEye, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, James Bond - 007, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Sean Connery, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof, James Bond - No Time to Die, 2020
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Dr. No, 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - From Russia with Love 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Goldfinger, 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Thunderball, 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - You Only Live Twice, 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - On Her Majesty's Secret Service 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Diamonds Are Forever 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - Live And Let Die 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - The Man With The Golden Gun 2021
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof Coloured, James Bond - The Spy Who Loved Me 2021