Introduced in 1815, the original Griqua Town coin series consisted of a five and ten "pence" made of silver as well as a half and quarter "pence" made of copper. The common obverse of the four coins featured the emblem of the London Missionary Society, a flying dove with an olive branch in its beak. The reverse of each coin featured the words "Griqua Town" and the denomination of the coin.
The 2015 Griqua Town numismatic range depicts these various elements from the original coin designs: a replica dove with olive brand in its beak, the words "Griqua Town" and the numeral five portrayed as five single lines. The idea of taking a closer look at the history of our coinage and magnifying the intricate detail that numismatists seek out in coins, is symbolised by the magnifying glass that one receives with each coin purchase. According to Tumi Tsehlo, the Managing Director of the South African Mint, “we are proud to bring to life the country’s coinage history with this range that is essentially tells the story of other coins. The 2015 Griqua Town coins are “coins about coins””.
The Bicentennial (200th anniversary) Gold Set contains the gold quarter ounce and the two versions of the bimetallic R5 - a Brilliant Uncirculated and a Proof coin, and does not contain the two silver crowns.
The set is packaged in a beautiful wooden box and also contains a magnifying glass.