The first auksinas, equivalent to the Polish złoty, was minted in 1564 - 1565 at the Lithuanian Mint by Sigismund II Augustus. Since it was equal to 30 Lithuanian groschen, it was also known as puskapė (half-kopa). Among merchants, they are also known as taleris (from thaler) or guldenas (from gulden). The coin weighted about 27.86 grams (0.983 oz) and measured 40 millimetres in diameter with silver content of about 73%. Due to the Livonian War, the coins were debased: according to the traditions, 30 groschen were equal to about 26 grams (0.92 oz) of silver, while auksinas had only about 20.47 grams (0.722 oz) of silver.
The coins had two different appearances in 1564 and 1565. On the obverse, both coins had royal monogram SA (Sigismund Augutus), year of mintage, and denomination (XXX or 30). The averse (reverse) initially had six coats of arms: Polish eagle, Lithuanian vytis, snake of Sforza (Augustus' mother), Archangel Michael of Kiev, bear of Samogitia, and cross of Volhynia. The following year the coats of arms were replaced by a bust of Sigismund Augustus.