|Coin||Silver Ounce 2022 Sea Turtle|
Montserrat is a British overseas territory in the Caribbean which uses the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$) as its currency; it is the common currency of six independent states and two British Overseas Territories. The EC$ has both common and national issues. All common circulating coins are issued under the authority of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank and have no issuing country specified on them. Separately, each member country can also strike coins bearing its national symbols; these coins are legal tender in all members states, and are usually commemorative or bullion not intended for general circulation. Most of the member states are also members of the (British) Commonwealth of Nations and share the same monarch with the United Kingdom, so that the effigy of the monarch is displayed on the coins and banknotes of the currency.
Montserrat has authorised some foreign mints to strike coins under its issuing authority for collector's purposes. Some of these are in popular bullion formats, such as one troy ounce (1 oz) of silver.
This coin is part of the fifth edition of the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series of premium bullion coins by the Scottsdale Mint, which has a new annual design for each country of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The 2022 design for Montserrat features a Sea Turtle.
The obverse of the coins shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
Normally, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley) are below the portrait when it is used; however, they are not displayed here.
The effigy is surrounded by a laurel wreath. The central circle has a frosted finish.
In the rim, within a plain border, around above the name of the issuing authority: EASTERN CARIBBEAN CENTRAL BANK. Around below, the legend of the monarch, QUEEN ELIZABETH II.
Facing outward, around below left the precious metal content of the coin: 1 OZ .999 SILVER (one troy ounce of 99.9% silver); around below right, the face value TWO DOLLARS.
The reverse of the coin depicts a sea turtle swimming in the ocean, with another sea turtle in the background.
Around below, the name of the country: MONTSERRAT, above which in the central circle the date of issue 2022.
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, proof-like.
Packaging: in capsule, with 5 coins in a sealed blister strip.
Release date: April 2023.
Issue price: US$ 32.13
Coins issued in the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series in 2022 include:
- Anguilla, 1 oz Gold, Eels, 2022
- Anguilla, 1 oz Silver, Eels, 2022
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Gold, Coat of Arms of Antigua and Barbuda, 2022
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Silver, Coat of Arms of Antigua and Barbuda, 2022
- Dominica, 1 oz Gold, Mountain Chicken, 2022
- Dominica, 1 oz Silver, Mountain Chicken, 2022
- Grenada, 1 oz Gold, Nutmeg Tree, 2022
- Grenada, 1 oz Silver, Nutmeg Tree, 2022
- Montserrat, 1 oz Gold, Sea Turtle, 2022
- Montserrat, 1 oz Silver, Sea Turtle, 2022
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Gold, Underwater Surfer, 2022
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Silver, Underwater Surfer, 2022
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Gold, Young Couple, 2022
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Silver, Young Couple, 2022
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Gold, Sailing Ship, 2022
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Silver, Sailing Ship, 2022