|Coin||Silver Ounce 2019 Moon Landing|
The Barbadian Dollar has been the currency of Barbados since 1973, when it replaced the Eastern Caribbean Dollar. It is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively BBD $ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies.
Apart from the regular circulating coinage, the country has also authorised some foreign mints to issue commemorative and bullion coins under its jurisdiction. These are typically in standard bullion sizes, such as one ounce of silver (abbreviated as 1 oz Ag, where "Ag" comes from the Latin word for silver, Argentum).
This coin is dedicated to the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Mission on 20 July 1969, one of the most important events in human history - the first time when a human landed on the Moon.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin displays at its centre the Coat of Arms of Barbados: a shield which carries two Pride of Barbados flowers (the National Flower) and a Bearded Fig Tree (ficus Citrifolia). On either side of the shield are the supporters - on the right is a dolphin symbolic of the fishing industry, and on the left a pelican, after Pelican Island, a small outcrop later incorporated into the Deep Water Harbour development. Above the shield is a helmet, above which the hand of a Bajan holding two crossed pieces of sugar cane symbolic of the sugar industry. On a ribbon below, the motto PRIDE AND INDUSTRY.
Around above, the name of the country: BARBADOS.
Around below, the face value 5 DOLLARS. Divided by that, to the left and right of it, the precious metal content: 1 oz Ag 999 (one troy ounce of 99.9% silver).
The reverse of the coin features an astronaut walking on the Moon's surfaces, with the Apollo landing module in the background.
Around above, the inscription: FIRST MAN ON THE MOON, below which 1969. Around below, the date of issue 2019.
||FIRST MAN ON THE MOON 1969 2019
Packaging: in blister card.
Coins marking the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon Landing:
- Australia (Perth Mint), 1 oz Gold, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Royal Australian Mint), 1 oz Gold, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Perth Mint), 5 oz Silver, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Perth Mint), 1 oz Silver, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Royal Australian Mint), 1 oz Silver, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Royal Australian Mint), $1 Aluminium Bronze, Moon Landing, 2019
- Australia (Royal Australian Mint), 5 Cents Copper-Nickel, Moon Landing, 2019
- Barbados, 0.5 g Gold, Moon Landing 2019
- Barbados, 1 oz Silver, Moon Landing 2019
- New Zealand, 1 oz Silver, Space Pioneers, 2019
- South Africa, 2 Rand (Crown) Silver, Polymer Putty, 2019
- South Africa, 2 1/2 Cents Silver, 2019
- Switzerland, 20 Francs Silver, Moon Landing, 2019