|Coin||Gold Ounce 2020 Hummingbird|
Dominica is a sovereign island country in the Caribbean which uses the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$) as its currency; it is the common currency of six independent states and two British Overseas Territories. The EC$ has both common and national issues. All common circulating coins are issued under the authority of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank and have no issuing country specified on them. Separately, each member country can also strike coins bearing its national symbols; these coins are legal tender in all members states, and are usually commemorative or bullion not intended for general circulation. Most of the member states - except Dominica, which is a republic - share the same monarch with the United Kingdom, so that the effigy of the monarch is displayed on the coins and banknotes of the currency. Dominica is nevertheless a member of the Commonwealth of Nations which recognises British monarch as Head of the Commonwealth.
Dominica has authorised some foreign mints to strike coins under its issuing authority for collector's purposes. Some of these are in popular bullion formats, such as one troy ounce (1 oz) of gold.
This coin is part of the third edition of the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series of premium bullion coins by the Scottsdale Mint, which has a new annual design for each country of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The 2020 edition for Dominica features a Hummingbird.
Hummingbirds are birds native to the Americas and comprise the biological family Trochilidae. They occur from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, but the vast majority of the species are found in the tropics. They are small birds, with most species measuring 7.5 - 13 cm in length. They are specialised for feeding on flower nectar, but all species also consume flying insects or spiders.
The obverse of the coins shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
Normally, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley) are below the portrait when it is used; however, they are not displayed here.
The effigy is surrounded by a laurel wreath. The central circle has a frosted finish.
In the rim, within a plain border, around above the name of the issuing authority: EASTERN CARIBBEAN CENTRAL BANK. Around below, the legend of the monarch, QUEEN ELIZABETH II.
Facing outward, around below left the precious metal content of the coin: 1 OZ .9999 GOLD (one troy ounce of 99.99% gold); around below right, the face value TEN DOLLARS.
The reverse of the coin depicts a hummingbird hovering over a flower, ready to drink from its nectar. In the background, hills and tropical plants.
Around above, the name of the country: DOMINICA. The date of issue 2020 is in the left field.
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, proof-like.
Packaging: in serialised Certi-Lock packaging (assay card).
Coins issued in the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series in 2020 include:
- Anguilla, 1 oz Gold, Coat of Arms of Anguilla, 2020
- Anguilla, 1 oz Silver, Coat of Arms of Anguilla, 2020
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Gold, Rum Runner, 2020
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Silver, Rum Runner, 2020
- Dominica, 1 oz Gold, Hummingbird, 2020
- Dominica, 1 oz Silver, Hummingbird, 2020
- Grenada, 1 oz Gold, Caribbean Reef Octopus, 2020
- Grenada, 1 oz Silver, Caribbean Reef Octopus, 2020
- Montserrat, 1 oz Gold, Montserrat Oriole, 2020
- Montserrat, 1 oz Silver, Montserrat Oriole, 2020
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Gold, Siege of Brimstone Hill, 2020
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Silver, Siege of Brimstone Hill, 2020
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Gold, Whiptail Lizard, 2020
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Silver, Whiptail Lizard, 2020
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Gold, Pax et Justitia, 2020
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Silver, Pax et Justitia, 2020