|Coin||Gold Ounce 2019 Island Hopping|
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is a sovereign island country in the Caribbean which uses the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$) as its currency; it is the common currency of six independent states and two British Overseas Territories. The EC$ has both common and national issues. All common circulating coins are issued under the authority of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank and have no issuing country specified on them. Separately, each member country can also strike coins bearing its national symbols; these coins are legal tender in all members states, and are usually commemorative or bullion not intended for general circulation. Most of the member states share the same monarch with the United Kingdom, so that the effigy of the monarch is displayed on the coins and banknotes of the currency.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has authorised some foreign mints to strike coins under its issuing authority for collector's purposes. Some of these are in popular bullion formats, such as one troy ounce (1 oz) of gold.
This coin is part of the second edition of the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series of premium bullion coins by the Scottsdale Mint, which has a new annual design for each country of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The 2019 design for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is called Island Hopping and features the two most popular modes of transport between the islands - a boat and a seaplane.
The obverse of the coins shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
Normally, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley) are below the portrait when it is used; however, they are not displayed here.
The effigy is surrounded by a laurel wreath. The central circle has a frosted finish.
In the rim, within a plain border, around above the name of the issuing authority: EASTERN CARIBBEAN CENTRAL BANK. Around below, the legend of the monarch, QUEEN ELIZABETH II.
Facing outward, around below left the precious metal content of the coin: 1 OZ .9999 GOLD (one troy ounce of 99.99% gold); around below right, the face value TEN DOLLARS.
The reverse of the coin shows an island view of a palm-lined beach with a boat resting on the sand, and a seaplane in the air. On the right, the inscription Land of the Blessed.
Around above, the name of the country: St. Vincent & the Grenadines; around below, the date of issue 2019.
Packaging: in serialised Certi-Lock packaging (assay card).
Coins issued in the EC8 series in 2019 include:
- Anguilla, 1 oz Gold, Lobster, 2019
- Anguilla, 1 oz Silver, Lobster, 2019
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Gold, Rum Runner, 2019
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Silver, Rum Runner, 2019
- Dominica, 1 oz Gold, The Nature Isle, 2019
- Dominica, 1 oz Silver, The Nature Isle, 2019
- Grenada, 1 oz Gold, Diving Paradise, 2019
- Grenada, 1 oz Silver, Diving Paradise, 2019
- Montserrat, 1 oz Gold, Emerald Isle of the Caribbean, 2019
- Montserrat, 1 oz Silver, Emerald Isle of the Caribbean, 2019
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Gold, Brown Pelican, 2019
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Silver, Brown Pelican, 2019
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Gold, Flamingo, 2019
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Silver, Flamingo, 2019
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Gold, Island Hopping, 2019
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Silver, Island Hopping, 2019