The Fifty Francs coin is a denomination of the Swiss Franc. Given that Switzerland has four official languages, the Franc has three different names: Franken in German, franc in French and Romansh, and franco in Italian.
In regular circulation, the denomination is served by a banknote. These gold coins are non-circulating legal tender made for collectors and struck in proof grade only. They are issued in topical series, celebrating various aspects of Swiss heritage or nature. Swissmint has issued at least one every year since 2001. Initially, both sides of the coin carried a commemorative design; starting from 2004, the obverse is the same and only the reverse changes. (It is worth mentioning that some sources consider it the other way round, and call the commemorative part the obverse; however, we are going with the standard definition, which is that "obverse" is the side which specifies the issuing authority).
The edge is inscribed with the motto DOMINUS PROVIDEBIT (The Lord will provide - a quote from the Bible, Genesis 22, 8), and thirteen stars representing the original thirteen cantons of the Swiss Federation.
This coin is part of a series about Swiss charitable foundations, and commemorates the Centenary of Pro Patria.
Pro Patria, officially Stiftung PRO PATRIA Schweizerische Bundesfeierspende, is a Swiss patriotic and charitable organisation. Its purpose is to give meaning to the Swiss national holiday, August 1, by collecting donations to the benefit of social and cultural works of national public interest. Pro Patria was founded in 1909 as the Verein Schweizerische Bundesfeier-Spende (Swiss Federal Celebration Donation Association) by a group of public-spirited citizens led by the merchant Albert Schuster. The association's efforts were supported by the Swiss federal government and the Post Office, and Pro Patria coordinated its activities with the government during the first decades of its operation.
The reverse design depicts the stylised heads of two men facing right.
Below the portraits on the right, the handwritten signature of the artist, Erni (for Hans Erni).
Around below right, in Ancient Greek style of lettering, the inscription PRO PATRIA. Below the portraits on the left, the anniversary dates 1909 - 2009.