|Coin Type||Washington Quarter Dollar, Copper-Nickel|
The Quarter Dollar is a United States coin worth 25 cents. It has been produced on and off since 1796 and consistently since 1831.
From its inception until 1964, the denomination was issued in silver; it underwent several design changes, including finally the silver Washington quarter (1932 - 1964) featuring the first President of the United States on the obverse and the American Eagle clutching a bunch of arrows on the reverse. Initially meant as a one-year design to commemorate 200 years since the birth of George Washington in 1932, the obverse became the definitive design for the denomination and has been used ever since. The reverse was issued in this form until 1998, after which time the series of "State Quarters" circulating commemoratives started being issued instead.
Since 1965, the quarter dollar has a copper inner core bonded to an outer layer of copper-nickel (75% copper, 25% nickel).
At its centre, the obverse of the coin shows the portrait of George Washington, the first President of the United States (1789 - 1797), facing left. He has long hear, tied below the neck with a ribbon.
The designer's initials JF (for John Flanagan) are in relief on the neck truncation.
Around above, the inscription LIBERTY. In smaller letters on two lines below left, the motto IN GOD WE TRUST.
Around below, the date of issue: [year].
||LIBERTY IN GOD WE TRUST [year]
The central device on the reverse is the American eagle with outspread wings, facing the viewer; it is perched on a bundle of arrows framed below by two olive branches.
Above, the legend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. In small letters below that, on two lines the motto E PLURIBUS UNUM (translated from Latin: Out of many, one).
Around below, the value and denomination in words: QUARTER DOLLAR.
||UNITED STATES OF AMERICA QUARTER DOLLAR
The mint mark was transferred to the obverse, as compared to the silver coins with the same design which had it on the reverse. The Philadelphia Mint had no mint mark initially, then started using a P mint mark in 1980.