|Coin||Gold Ounce 2021 Street Fighter - Ryu|
Apart from its regular circulating coinage, Fiji has authorised a number of private mints to issue collector coins in precious metals, which are legal tender in the country but are not intended for general circulation. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes - including one ounce of gold (abbreviated as 1 oz Au, where "Au" comes from the Latin word for gold, Aurum). These are sometimes made using "smartminting" or other innovative techniques and are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to Fiji itself.
This coloured one-ounce gold coin is the part of the Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary series of coins by LPM featuring Street Fighter characters, and shows Ryu.
Street Fighter is a game which was first released in 1987 by CAPCOM for arcades around the world, but it wasn't until Street Fighter II's release in 1991 that the series achieved a massive following. Street Fighter II was the first fighting game that allowed players to choose from a variety of fighters with their own unique moves and fighting styles. Though there have been dozens of unique characters introduced over time, the character Ryu has been the face of Street Fighter and the Street Fighter II roster which is the most recognised. The other characters from Street Fighter II are E. Honda, Blanka, Guile, Ken, Chun-Li, Zangief, Dhalsim, Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows at its centre the Coat of Arms of Fiji, as adopted in 1908 by a Royal Warrant, consisting of a shield divided quarterly by the Cross of St. George and charged with lion at the top, supported by two Fijian warriors, one on each side - one clutching a spear and one holding a totokia club, and topped with a takia - a traditional Fijian outrigger canoe, in full sail.
The objects on the Coat of Arms carry cultural, political, and regional meanings. The Cross of St. George and the lion at the top represent the United Kingdom, the former colonial power that ruled over Fiji. The cacao pod held in the lion's paw, along with the sugarcane, coconut palm and bananas occupying three of the four quadrants, represent the country's natural resource. The bottom left quadrant contains a dove that symbolises peace.
At the bottom is the country's motto: Rerevaka na kalou ka doka na Tui; translated from Fijian: Fear God and honour the Queen.
On the left and right, separated by the Coat of Arms, the precious metal content: 1 OZ .999 GOLD (one troy ounce of 99.9% gold).
Around above, the name of the country and the date of issue: FIJI 2021; around below, the face value 10 DOLLARS.
The reverse is coloured and represents Ryu, a character from the Street Fighter games.
Below left, the logo STREET FIGHTER II. Around above right, the copyright acknowledgement: © CAPCOM.
||STREET FIGHTER II © CAPCOM
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, coloured.
Packaging: in protective capsule, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Issue price: US$ 2,114.30
Coins in the Street Fighter series include (ordered by character / coin format / year):
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU, Street Fighter - Ryu, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU (with coloured version), Street Fighter - Ryu, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU (with coloured version), Street Fighter - Chun Li, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Ken, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Vega, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Vega, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - M. Bison, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - M. Bison, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Guile, Fiji 2022