|Coin||Silver Ounce 2022 Street Fighter - Ryu|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the silver ounce format (abbreviated as 1 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
Street Fighter, the legendary video game franchise, revolves around a worldwide martial arts tournament featuring a large cast of playable characters - including Ryu. Serious, quiet and seemingly unemotional, Ryu is an honourable warrior whose simple but necessarily violent fighting style involves a number of specialist attacks, including his trademark "vacuum energy fist" - Shinku Hadoken.
"LPM is teaming up with Capcom U.S.A. to release a series of coins to commemorate the most iconic fighting franchise in history - Street Fighter. Since the original made its arcade debut back in 1987, the franchise has revolutionised the fighting game genre and has become a staple in both the video game and pop culture world. In collaboration with The Perth Mint, LPM is pleased to present the first release in the Street Fighter Characters Bullion series featuring Ryu! Struck by The Perth Mint in brilliant uncirculated finish."
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1 oz 9999 Ag 2022 TUVALU 1 DOLLAR.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content. "1 oz 9999 Ag" means "one ounce of 99.99% silver" ("Ag" is abbreviated from Argentum, the Latin word for silver).
The reverse design represents Ryu, a character from the Street Fighter game, in the heat of battle performing his classic "hadouken" move.
Below left, the inscription RYU. Around above right, the copyright acknowledgement ©CAPCOM.
Finish: bullion (Brilliant Uncirculated).
Packaging: individual loose coin, or 20 in a sealed roll, or 100 in a box.
Date of issue: November 2021.
15,000 ordinary bullion coins, plus 5,000 with a coloured reverse.
Coins in the Street Fighter series include (ordered by character / coin format / year):
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU, Street Fighter - Ryu, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Ryu, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU (with coloured version), Street Fighter - Ryu, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU (with coloured version), Street Fighter - Chun Li, Tuvalu 2022
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Chun Li, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Ken, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Vega, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - Vega, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Gold BU Coloured, Street Fighter - M. Bison, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Street Fighter - M. Bison, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Shaped Coloured, Mini Fighters - Guile, Fiji 2022