|Coin||Two Pfennigs 1894|
The German New Guinea Company issued its own coinage in 1894 and it remained legal tender until 15 April 1911, when it was replaced by regular German imperial coinage. A coin of two pfennigs issued in 1894 would therefore have been in circulation for 17 years.
Unlike the silver and gold coins of the same issue, this colonial coin did not correspond to its German imperial two pfennig counterpart
In two lines above crossed fern or palm branches, the issuing company's name: NEU-GUINEA COMPAGNIE.
|Obverse Inscription||NEU-GUINEA COMPAGNIE|
Within a beaded circle, the numeral value 2. Around, the value in text, denomination and date: ZWEI NEU-GUINEA PFENNIG 1894 (from German: two New Guinea pfennigs 1894). Below, the mint mark A of the Berlin Mint.
|Reverse Inscription||2 ZWEI NEU-GUINEA PFENNIG 1894|
|Remick, Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins||1971||Mint|
|Remick, Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins||1971||Mintage|
|Remick, Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins||1971||Varieties||Proof|
|Remick, Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins||1971||Composition|
|Krause, Standard Catalog of World Coins||German New Guinea KM# 2|