|Coin||Gold Ounce 2021 Ginger Flower|
Saint Lucia is a sovereign island country in the Caribbean which uses the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$) as its currency; it is the common currency of six independent states and two British Overseas Territories. The EC$ has both common and national issues. All common circulating coins are issued under the authority of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank and have no issuing country specified on them. Separately, each member country can also strike coins bearing its national symbols; these coins are legal tender in all members states, and are usually commemorative or bullion not intended for general circulation. Most of the member states share the same monarch with the United Kingdom, so that the effigy of the monarch is displayed on the coins and banknotes of the currency.
Saint Lucia has authorised some foreign mints to strike coins under its issuing authority for collector's purposes. Some of these are in popular bullion formats, such as one troy ounce (1 oz) of gold.
This coin is part of the fourth edition of the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series of premium bullion coins by the Scottsdale Mint, which has a new annual design for each country of the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). The 2021 design for Saint Lucia depicts a Ginger Flower.
The Torch Ginger is a decorative plant, whose fruit are also used as an ingredient in South-East Asian cuisine.
The obverse of the coins shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
Normally, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley) are below the portrait when it is used; however, they are not displayed here.
The effigy is surrounded by a laurel wreath. The central circle has a frosted finish.
In the rim, within a plain border, around above the name of the issuing authority: EASTERN CARIBBEAN CENTRAL BANK. Around below, the legend of the monarch, QUEEN ELIZABETH II.
Facing outward, around below left the precious metal content of the coin: 1 OZ .9999 GOLD (one troy ounce of 99.99% gold); around below right, the face value TEN DOLLARS.
The reverse of the coin depicts at its centre a ginger flower.
Around above, the name of the country: St. Lucia, below which the date of issue 2021.
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, proof-like.
Packaging: in serialised Certi-Lock packaging (assay card).
Coins issued in the Eastern Caribbean 8 (EC8) series in 2021 include:
- Anguilla, 1 oz Gold, Sailing Ships, 2021
- Anguilla, 1 oz Silver, Sailing Ships, 2021
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Gold, Frigatebird, 2021
- Antigua and Barbuda, 1 oz Silver, Frigatebird, 2021
- Dominica, 1 oz Gold, Imperial Amazon Parrots, 2021
- Dominica, 1 oz Silver, Imperial Amazon Parrots, 2021
- Grenada, 1 oz Gold, Coat of Arms of Grenada, 2021
- Grenada, 1 oz Silver, Coat of Arms of Grenada, 2021
- Montserrat, 1 oz Gold, Angelfish, 2021
- Montserrat, 1 oz Silver, Angelfish, 2021
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Gold, Shipwreck, 2021
- Saint Kitts and Nevis, 1 oz Silver, Shipwreck, 2021
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Gold, Ginger Flower, 2021
- Saint Lucia, 1 oz Silver, Ginger Flower, 2021
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Gold, Humpback Whale, 2021
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1 oz Silver, Humpback Whale, 2021