|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2016 William Shakespeare|
The Cook Islands, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar circulates in parallel with the local Cook Islands Dollar; at the same time, the government also authorises many legal tender coins in the Cook Islands Dollar currency for collector's purposes. Many of them are in standard sizes, including the half gram (0.5 g) of gold mini-coin format - such as this coin.
The Mint says about it:
William Shakespeare is one of the most famous writers, known for masterpieces such as Hamlet, Othello, and Romeo and Juliet among many others. He is considered to be the most published author of all time with an estimated two to four billion books sold to date. His timeless and unparalleled works and poems have not lost any of their appeal despite the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death in 2016.
To commemorate this event, this collector‘s coin is struck in equally timeless pure gold. Sophisticated minting technology depicts Shakespeare‘s portrait in minute detail.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II 5 DOLLARS COOK ISLANDS 2016.
The reverse design depicts a portrait of famous English writer William Shakespeare.
Around above, his name: WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE.
Around below, separated from the inscription above by two quills, the anniversary dates: 1616 - 2016.
||WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 1616 - 2016
CIT Item ID: 27734
Coins commemorating the 400th Anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare:
- 5 oz Gold (£10), Shakespeare, United Kingdom 2016
- 1/4 oz Gold (£25), Shakespeare, United Kingdom 2016
- 0.5 g Gold ($5), William Shakespeare, Cook Islands 2016
- 5 oz Silver (£10), Shakespeare, United Kingdom 2016
- 1 oz Silver (£50), Shakespeare, United Kingdom 2016
- 1 oz Silver (£2), Shakespeare, United Kingdom 2016
- £2 Bimetallic (with gold and silver versions), Shakespeare - Histories, United Kingdom 2016
- £2 Bimetallic (with gold and silver versions), Shakespeare - Comedies, United Kingdom 2016
- £2 Bimetallic (with gold and silver versions), Shakespeare - Tragedies, United Kingdom 2016