|Coin||Silver Twenty Grams 2019 Happy Valentine's Day|
The Cook Islands, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar circulates in parallel with the local Cook Islands Dollar; at the same time, the government also authorises many legal tender coins in the Cook Islands Dollar currency for collector's purposes.
Collector coins are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to the country itself. Many of them are in bullion sizes based on the troy ounce, but some are "metric", like twenty grams (20g) of silver.
This coin is part of a heart-shaped series issued (almost) annually with a new design every year.
The Mint says about it:
CIT’s "Silver Hearts collection" originated in 2005 with "Endless Love", a sterling silver coin in the shape of a heart measuring 37×37 mm. The overarching motif of love has been illustrated with angels, flowers, hearts and swans. Since 2014, the coins incorporate flower bouquets made with Swarovski crystals and are specifically designed as Valentine’s Day gifts. The 2019 edition stays true to this beloved concept and displays a lavish crystal rose on a proof finish background with floral elements. This remarkable coin will surely put a smile on your loved one and will endure long after the roses have wilted.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II COOK ISLANDS 5 DOLLARS.
The reverse is coloured and depicts a red flower at centre, surrounded by floral motifs. The flower is made of embedded crystals.
On three lines above left, the inscription reads HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. Below the second line is a thin horizontal line interrupted by a small 2019 for the date of issue (mintage is also limited to the same number).
||HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2019
Finish: proof, coloured, crystal inserts.
CIT Item ID: 28714
Coins in the Silver Hearts collection include:
- 25 g Silver, Endless Love, Northern Mariana Islands 2005
- 25 g Silver, Endless Love, Liberia 2006
- 25 g Silver, Angel and Devil, Palau 2007
- 25 g Silver, Everlasting Love, Cook Islands 2008
- 25 g Silver, Missing You, Palau 2009
- 1/2 oz Silver, My Heart Flies for You, Palau 2012
- 25 g Silver, Heart of Love, Cameroon 2013
- 20 g Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, Cook Islands 2014
- 20 g Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, Cook Islands 2017
- 20 g Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, Cook Islands 2019
- 20 g Silver, Happy Valentine's Day, Cook Islands 2021
- 20 g Silver, Brilliant Love, Cook Islands 2022
- 20 g Silver, Brilliant Love, Cook Islands 2023