|Coin||Silver Ounce 2020 Marvel - Avengers Logo|
Apart from its regular circulating coinage, Fiji has authorised a number of private mints to issue collector coins in precious metals, which are legal tender in the country but are not intended for general circulation. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes - typically, one ounce of silver (abbreviated as 1 oz Ag, where "Ag" comes from the Latin word for silver, Argentum). These are usually made using innovative techniques and are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to Fiji itself.
This coloured and specially shaped coin is part of the Cinema Series by The Crown Mint, and features the Avengers Logo.
The Mint says about it:
The brainchild of S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury the Avengers stand as the planet's first line of defence against the most powerful threats in the universe. The Avengers fight the foes no single superhero can withstand!
Struck in 1oz of pure silver, this stunning new logo-shaped coin is officially licensed by Marvel and authentic, $2 legal tender currency from the island nation of Fiji.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows at its centre the Coat of Arms of Fiji, as adopted in 1908 by a Royal Warrant, consisting of a shield divided quarterly by the Cross of St. George and charged with lion at the top, supported by two Fijian warriors, one on each side - one clutching a spear and one holding a totokia club, and topped with a takia - a traditional Fijian outrigger canoe, in full sail.
The objects on the Coat of Arms carry cultural, political, and regional meanings. The Cross of St. George and the lion at the top represent the United Kingdom, the former colonial power that ruled over Fiji. The cacao pod held in the lion's paw, along with the sugarcane, coconut palm and bananas occupying three of the four quadrants, represent the country's natural resource. The bottom left quadrant contains a dove that symbolises peace.
At the bottom is the country's motto: Rerevaka na kalou ka doka na Tui; translated from Fijian: Fear God and honour the Queen.
On the left and right, separated by the Coat of Arms, the precious metal content: 1oz .999 FINE SILVER (one troy ounce of 99.9% silver).
Around above, the name of the country and the date of issue: FIJI 2020; around below, the face value 2 DOLLARS.
The reverse of the coin is coloured and represents the Avenger's logo from Marvel's comics and movies.
There is no inscription.
Silver Content (Troy oz): 1.000
Finish: proof, coloured, special shape.
Packaging: in themed tin, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity made of 2g of silver, with coloured illustrations.
Issue price: US$ 99.95
Coins in the Marvel Cinema Series (proof) and the corresponding Bullion Series include (ordered by year / size / design):
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Spider Man, Tuvalu 2017
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, Avengers: Infinity War, Fiji 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Thor, Tuvalu 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Black Panther, Tuvalu 2018
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Black Panther, Tuvalu 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Iron Man, Tuvalu 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Deadpool, Tuvalu 2018
- 2 oz Silver Antique Shaped, Iron Man Mask, Fiji 2019
- 2 oz Silver Antique Shaped, Spider Man Mask, Fiji 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Captain America, Tuvalu 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Hulk, Tuvalu 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Captain Marvel, Fiji 2019
- 10 g Silver Coloured, Captain America Shield, Fiji 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Shaped, Avenger's Logo, Fiji 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Black Widow, Fiji 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Wolverine, Fiji 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Venom, Tuvalu 2020
- 2 oz Silver Antique Shaped, Black Panther Mask, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Wolverine, Tuvalu 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Captain America Shield, Fiji 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Spider-Man, Fiji 2022