The German New Guinea Company issued its own coinage in 1894 and it remained legal tender until 15 April 1911, when it was replaced by regular German imperial coinage. A five mark coin issued in 1894 would therefore have been in circulation for 17 years.
This colonial coin corresponded exactly in size and composition to its German imperial five mark counterpart.
At centre, in four lines, the value, denomination and date: 5 NEU-GUINEA MARK 1894, fully enclosed by a palm wreath; around above the wreath, the issuing company's name: NEU-GUINEA COMPAGNIE. Below the wreath, the mint mark A of the Berlin Mint.