The German New Guinea Company issued its own coinage in 1894 and it remained legal tender until 15 April 1911, when it was replaced by regular German imperial coinage. A coin of ten pfennigs issued in 1894 would therefore have been in circulation for 17 years.
Unlike the silver and gold coins of the same issue, this colonial coin did not correspond to its German imperial ten pfennig counterpart and is copper instead of copper-nickel.
At centre, in four lines, the value, denomination and date: 10 NEU-GUINEA PFENNIG 1894, mostly enclosed by a palm wreath; around above, the issuing company's name: NEU-GUINEA COMPAGNIE. Below the wreath, the mint mark A of the Berlin Mint.