|Coin||Gold Ounce 2017 Nautical Ounce - Santa Maria|
The Rwandan Franc was introduced as the currency of Rwanda in 1964. Apart from its regular circulating coinage, the country has also authorised some foreign mints to issue coins under its jurisdiction, which come in a variety of sizes - including in the internationally popular gold ounce (1 oz gold) format, denominated usually as 100 Francs. Like any bullion coin though, their actual value is unrelated to the face value, and is based primarily on the metal content and the spot price of that metal on the commodities markets.
This coin is the first issue in the Rwandan Nautical Ounce series which features a new reverse design every year; this year's edition commemorates the 525th anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus in 1492, and depicts the Santa Maria - the flagship of his expedition which set sail to find a shorter path from Europe to Asia but discovered a new continent instead.
Within a plain rim, the obverse of the coin features the Coat of Arms of Rwanda. At its centre is a traditional basket, surrounded by the central tribal devices: a stem of sorghum on the left, and a branch of a coffee tree on the right, surmounted on a cog wheel with the sun with its rays above. These are protected by two typical Rwandan shields, one on the right and one on the left. The design is encircled by a rope, tied below in a square knot.
On a ribbon above, REPUBULIKA Y'U RWANDA (Republic of Rwanda); on a ribbon below, the motto UBUMWE · UMURIMO · GUKUNDA IGIHUGU (Unity, Work, Patriotism in Kinyarwanda - the official Rwandan language).
Around above, the name of the issuing authority: BANKI NKURU Y'U RWANDA (National Bank of Rwanda; in French: Banque Nationale du Rwanda; abbreviated as BNR).
Around below, the face value AMAFARANGA 100 IJANA (100 FRW - one hundred Rwandan Francs).
The reverse design depicts Christopher Columbus' ship Santa Maria at full sail.
Above right, a compass rose (sometimes called a "wind rose") showing the main directions, with "rhumb lines" radiating from it into the background of the design. In an oval above the ship, encircled by a rope, navigational instruments of the time: spyglass, compass and sextant.
On the waves below, the name of the ship: Santa Maria.
Around left, the name of the coin series: NAUTICAL OUNCE.
Around above right, the date of issue 2017. Around below right, facing outward, the precious metal content: 1 oz FINE GOLD 999 (one troy ounce of 99.9% silver).
||NAUTICAL OUNCE 2017 1 oz FINE GOLD 999 Santa Maria
Finish: bullion (Brilliant Uncirculated).
Packaging: in plastic capsule and leatherette pouch, with a Certificate of Authenticity branded with BNR (National Bank of Rwanda).
Coins in the Nautical Ounce series include:
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - Santa Maria, 2017
- 1 oz Silver, Nautical Ounce - Santa Maria, 2017
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - HMS Endeavour, 2018
- 1 oz Silver, Nautical Ounce - HMS Endeavour, 2018
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - Victoria, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, Nautical Ounce - Victoria, 2019
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - Mayflower, 2020
- 3 oz Silver Antique High Relief, Nautical Ounce - Mayflower, 2020
- 1 oz Silver (with Antique version), Nautical Ounce - Mayflower, 2020
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - Sedov, 2021
- 3 oz Silver Antique High Relief, Nautical Ounce - Sedov, 2021
- 1 oz Silver (with Antique version), Nautical Ounce - Sedov, 2021
- 1 oz Gold, Nautical Ounce - USS Constitution, 2022
- 3 oz Silver Antique High Relief, Nautical Ounce - USS Constitution, 2022
- 1 oz Silver (with Antique version), Nautical Ounce - USS Constitution, 2022