|Coin||Silver Five Ounces 2015 Dragon and His Nine Sons|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the silver five-ounce format (abbreviated as 5 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
The Mint says about this coin:
According to ancient Chinese mythology, the dragon is symbolic of good fortune. In Chinese culture the dragon is said to have nine sons, each of whom was endowed with a unique supernatural power. These appear in many aspects of architecture as well as forming part of daily life.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 5oz 9999 SILVER 2015 TUVALU 5 DOLLARS.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content: five troy ounces of 99.99% silver.
The reverse of the coin portrays the Chinese mythical dragon with his nine sons in colour.
Below, the inscription DRAGON & HIS NINE SONS.
The designer's initials IJ (for Ing Ing Jong) are below left. There is no mint mark.
||DRAGON & HIS NINE SONS
Silver Content (Troy oz): 5.000
Finish: proof, coloured.
Packaging: in leatherette display case and illustrated shipper, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth SKU: 15Y24AAA
Issue price: AU$ 495.00, US$ 354.12
Coins in the Chinese Myths and Legends series issued for Tuvalu include:
- 5 oz Silver, Chinese Mythical Creatures 2015
- 5 oz Silver Coloured, The Dragon and His Nine Sons 2015
- 5 oz Silver, The Dragon and His Nine Sons 2016
- 5 oz Silver Antique, Dragon 2018
- 5 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Fu, Lu and Shou 2021
- 5 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Chinese Mythical Creatures 2021
- 5 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Zhao Yun 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Double Dragon and Yin Yang Koi 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Double Dragon and Double Phoenix 2021
- 2 oz Silver Antique Coloured, White Tiger 2022
- 2 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Chinese Dragon 2022
- 2 oz Silver Antique Coloured, Dragon and Qilin 2022