|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2017 Revolutionaries - Fidel Castro|
The currency of Mongolia since 1925 has been the tögrög, which currently circulates mostly as banknotes due to the low value of earlier coins and the reluctance of the government to issue large denomination coins; however, the government has authorises many non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coins to be issued for collector's purposes.
Collector coins are dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes and are often not related to the country itself. Many of them are in internationally popular sizes, such as the half gram of gold mini-coin format.
This coin is part of the Revolutionaries collection.
The Mint says about it:
To commemorate Cuban revolutionary and political leader Fidel Castro, who died on 25 November 2016, Mongolia has issued an appealing coin set with a classic design, minted with state-of-the-art technology. The design is based on the coin’s predecessors the Chinggis Khaan issues of 2014 and 2016. The gold coin presented alongside the silver issue nearly mirrors it in design. Thanks to CIT’s Big Gold Minting process, the size of the gold coin increased from 11 mm to 13.92 mm while at the same time retaining relief height and detail.
The obverse of the coin depicts the logo of Mongolbank (the Bank of Mongolia), which is formed as a round coin on a lotus bouquet associated with purity, delicacy and stability. Three fire flames and a blooming flower are located inside the coin. The figure symbolises eternal development and youth and the three flames represent the main national treasures. At the nominal value location the Soyombo symbol is positioned, representative of the Mongol ethnicity. The name of the Central Bank of Mongolia is written below the figure: МонголБанк in Cyrillic, which is the official script of the Mongolian language.
On the two sides of the logo, vertically, the inscription Mongol Uls in the traditional Mongolian script.
Below the logo, on two lines the face value: 1000 TӨГРӨГ (one thousand Tögrög, alternatively spelled Tugrik).
Around below, the metal content: 0.5 gr .9999 GOLD (one half of a gram of 99.99% gold).
||1000 TӨГРӨГ 0.5 gr .9999 GOLD
The reverse design depicts a portrait of Cuban revolutionary and leader Fidel Castro.
Around above right, the inscription FIDEL CASTRO; below it vertically, an inscription in traditional Mongolian script, and a large five-pointed star.
Below, the date of issue 2017.
||FIDEL CASTRO 2017
CIT Item ID: 28041
Coin in the Revolutionaries series include:
- 0.5 Gold, Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan), 2014
- 1 oz Silver (with coloured version), Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan), 2014
- 0.5 Gold, Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan), 2016
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan), 2016
- 0.5 Gold, Fidel Castro, 2017
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Fidel Castro, 2017
- 0.5 Gold, Che Guevara, 2018
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Che Guevara, 2018
- 0.5 Gold, Karl Marx, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Karl Marx, 2019
- 0.5 Gold, Mahatma Gandhi, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Mahatma Gandhi, 2020
- 0.5 Gold, Napoleon Bonaparte, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Napoleon Bonaparte, 2021
- 0.5 Gold, Mother Teresa, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Mother Teresa, 2022