|Coin||Gold Ounce 2023 Japanese Trade Dollar|
Saint Helena is a small island in the South Atlantic Ocean which is part of the British overseas territory of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. The currency of the island is the Saint Helena pound, fixed at parity with the pound sterling. The island has authorised some private mints to issue coins under its jurisdiction, which come in a variety of sizes - including in the popular gold ounce (1 oz gold) format, denominated as £5.
The 2023 1 oz St Helena Modern Japanese Trade Dollar Gold Coin is part of a range dedicated to "trade dollars" and is an artist's impression of what a modern Japanese trade dollar would look like.
The Mint says about this coin:
The Modern Trade Dollar series will feature innovative reinterpretations of the classic trade dollars which were the global currencies that simplified international trade in the era before the idea of globalisation was commonplace.
The first Japanese Trade Dollar was issued in 1874, helping Japan trade in the lucrative Chinese markets after the end of the Shogun Era in 1867 brought a close to more than 250 years of cultural and economic isolation. Up until this point the Emperor was Emperor in name only but, with the Shogun Era over, the 15-year-old Emperor Meiji ascended to the Chrysanthemum throne in 1868 and Imperial Rule was re-established. Japan then surged ahead with plans to modernise its economy and rebuild its trading and diplomatic links with foreign nations. Just as the British Empire and economy had grown rapidly during the Victorian Era, the Meiji Era became a key chapter in the story of Japan’s rise as an economic world power, including the brief experiment with Japanese Trade Dollars between 1874 and 1877.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old bust of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide but "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, where the Queen's portrait by Vladimir Gottwald was fifth).
The Queen also wears the Coronation Necklace; originally made for Queen Victoria in 1858, it was also worn at the coronations (as Queen's Consort) of Queen Alexandra in 1902, Queen Mary in 1911 and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mother) in 1937.
Unlike on British coinage, the effigy is "uncouped" (includes the Queen's shoulders). In small letters on the left, the artist's initials JC (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the face value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II · ST. HELENA · ONE POUND · 2023 ·.
The reverse design shows a Japanese dragon "treasuring its mystical tamashi as the iconic Kanagawa wave crashes below, with the islands of Japan standing proudly upon the globe in the background".
Around above right, the inscription TRADE DOLLAR.
Below right, the EIC mint mark of the East India Company; the letters are separated by arrows radiating from the centre around which they are situated.
Finish: Proof FDC.
Packaging: in presentation case, with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Issue price: US$ 2,995.00
The coins were issued before the death of Queen Elizabeth II and have her portrait on the obverse, but are dated 2023 - in the reign of King Charles III.
Coins issued by The East India Company and featuring Trade Dollar designs include:
- 1 oz Gold Proof, British Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof, US Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof, US Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, US Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof, British Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Chinese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof, Chinese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Japanese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof, Japanese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof, French Trade Dollar, Niue 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof, French Trade Dollar, Niue 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, French Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2020
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2021
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2022
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2023
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2023