|Coin||Silver Ounce 2020 French Trade Dollar|
Saint Helena is a small island in the South Atlantic Ocean which is part of the British overseas territory of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. The currency of the island is the Saint Helena pound, fixed at parity with the pound sterling. The island has authorised some private mints to issue coins under its jurisdiction, which come in a variety of sizes - including in the popular silver ounce (1 oz silver) format, usually denominated as £1.
The 2020 1 oz Saint Helena French Trade Dollar Silver Coin is part of a range dedicated to "trade dollars" and is inspired by the famous French Indochinese silver Trade Piastre de commerce.
The Mint says about this coin:
This magnificent silver coin was initially introduced with the same specifications as the Spanish piece of eight equalling 24.4935 grams pure silver, later reduced to 24.3 grams in 1895. Created to facilitate trade in the French Indochinese Union created in 1887, it was used throughout the entire Indo-Chinese colonies, to create a much more stable economy. The Piastre, distinctly French in appearance, depicted elements from the Great Seal of the Second French Republic which was designed in 1848 by engraver Jean-Jacques Barre. It was his son Albert who designed the Indochinese Piastre coins with the family name of BARRE appearing below the personification’s foot.
The Piastre de commerce was initially closer in value to the American silver Dollar than it was to the French Franc. After the First World War, the Indochinese Piastre was one of the last coins to adhere to the silver standard which remained in place until 1930. The French Indo-China Piastre de Commerce coins, which included the smaller denomination copper coins of ½ cent and one cent and silver coins of 10, 20 and 50 cents based on the Seated Liberty Piastre designs, were minted at the Monnaie de Paris. The final one Piastre coins depicting this beautiful design was produced in 1928.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old bust of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide but "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, where the Queen's portrait by Vladimir Gottwald was fifth).
The Queen also wears the Coronation Necklace; originally made for Queen Victoria in 1858, it was also worn at the coronations (as Queen's Consort) of Queen Alexandra in 1902, Queen Mary in 1911 and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mother) in 1937.
Unlike on British coinage, the effigy is "uncouped" (includes the Queen's shoulders). In small letters on the left, the artist's initials JC (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the face value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II · ST. HELENA · ONE POUND · 2020 ·.
Surrounded by an "Oriental"-style border with a "key" pattern, the reverse of the coin shows at its centre the seated Lady Liberty. She wears a flowing gown and has a headdress with rays radiating out from it. In her right hand, she holds a bundle of fasces (the Roman symbol of authority) with a spear inserted in it;her left hand rest on a ship's rudder, behind which is seen a ship's anchor. Behind the figure and on the left, growing wheat. The bail of wheat is symbolic of the bountiful food grown in Southeast Asia, and the rudder and anchor symbolise France’s significant merchant marine trade with the world.
Around, between the central design and the Oriental rim, the inscription THE EAST INDIA COMPANY · TRADE DOLLAR ·.
||THE EAST INDIA COMPANY · TRADE DOLLAR ·
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated.
Coins issued by The East India Company and featuring Trade Dollar designs include:
- 1 oz Gold Proof, British Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof, US Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof, US Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, US Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof, British Trade Dollar, Niue 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Chinese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof, Chinese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Japanese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof, Japanese Trade Dollar, Niue 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof, French Trade Dollar, Niue 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof, French Trade Dollar, Niue 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, French Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2020
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern Chinese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2021
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern British Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2022
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Modern Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2023
- 1 oz Silver Bullion and Proof, Modern Japanese Trade Dollar, Saint Helena 2023