|Coin||Silver Two Ounces 2021 Great White Shark|
Apart from its regular circulating coinage, Solomon Islands has authorised a number of mints to issue collector coins in precious metals, which are legal tender in the country but are not intended for general circulation. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes - including two ounces of silver (abbreviated as 2 oz Ag, where "Ag" comes from the Latin word for silver, Argentum). These are usually dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to the country itself.
The 2021 2 oz Great White Shark Silver Coin is the first in a three-coin Ocean Predator series of specially shaped coins.
The Mint says about it:
The Ocean Predators coin series highlights creatures infamous for their predatory moves in an environment that is as hostile as it is serene to humankind! This first edition of the legal tender series showcases a fearsome Great White Shark propelling out of the water to catch its prey! Minted in exceptionally detailed relief, the coin is uniquely shaped to capture the powerful force of the Great White, deadly jaws and teeth bursting forth with an almost 3D effect!
Individually serialised with a mintage of only 1,500 coins.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II · SOLOMON ISLANDS · 5 DOLLARS ·.
The background represents a map of the Solomon Islands
Above left, the unique serial number of the coin.
The reverse design depicts a Great White Shark breaching the ocean waters and lunging out of the border of the coin. In the background, fish below and birds in the air.
Around above left, 999.9 SILVER 2 OZ (two troy ounces of 99.99% silver), below which the date of issue 2021.
||999.9 SILVER 2 OZ 2021
Packaging: the coin is sealed in a custom shaped capsule and housed in an attractive display folder, which is printed with a Certificate of Authenticity.
PAMP SKU: S-MKS-2OCEANPREDSHARK
Solomon Islands coins with special shapes made by PAMP (ordered by size / series / year):
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Great White Shark, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Polar Bear, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Killer Whale, 2022
- 2 oz Silver, Dinosaurs of North America - Tyrannosaurus Rex, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Dinosaurs of North America - Stegosaurus, 2022
- 2 oz Silver, America the Free - Statue of Liberty, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Great White Shark, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Great Hammerhead Shark, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Tiger Shark, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Bald Eagle, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Red-Tailed Hawk, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Horned Owl, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Santa Claus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, U.F.O., 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Giant Seahorse, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Whale Shark, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Galápagos Tortoise, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - African Elephant, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - African Lion, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - Nile Crocodile, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - Black Rhino, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Guitar Pick, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Surf Green Colour, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Black Colour, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Nutcracker, 2021