|Coin||Silver Two Ounces 2021 Polar Bear|
Apart from its regular circulating coinage, Solomon Islands has authorised a number of mints to issue collector coins in precious metals, which are legal tender in the country but are not intended for general circulation. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes - including two ounces of silver (abbreviated as 2 oz Ag, where "Ag" comes from the Latin word for silver, Argentum). These are usually dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to the country itself.
The 2021 2 oz Polar Bear Silver Coin is the second in a three-coin Ocean Predator series of specially shaped coins.
The Mint says about it:
The Ocean Predators coin series highlights creatures infamous for their predatory moves in an environment that is as hostile as it is serene to humankind! Introducing the Polar Bear, the second issue of our highly collectible Ocean Predators series. An awe-inspiring animal, the polar bear hunts the frigid waters of the Arctic for its food, using its powerful jaws to tear into prey. Weighing a full 2 ounces, this 999.9 fine silver, legal tender coin is uniquely shaped to impart the design with a dynamic effect that captures the mighty force of this endangered species’ fierce attack!
Individually serialised with a mintage of only 1,500 coins.
||Mint Mark||No mint mark
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II · SOLOMON ISLANDS · 5 DOLLARS ·.
The background represents a map of the Solomon Islands
Above right, the unique serial number of the coin.
The reverse design features a polar bear breaking out of the ice and lunging outside of the border.
Around above right, 999.9 SILVER 2 OZ (two troy ounces of 99.99% silver), below which the date of issue 2021.
||999.9 SILVER 2 OZ 2021
Packaging: the coin is sealed in a custom shaped capsule and housed in an attractive display folder, which is printed with a Certificate of Authenticity.
PAMP SKU: ZAGFC00876
Solomon Islands coins with special shapes made by PAMP (ordered by size / series / year):
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Great White Shark, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Polar Bear, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Ocean Predator - Killer Whale, 2022
- 2 oz Silver, Dinosaurs of North America - Tyrannosaurus Rex, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, Dinosaurs of North America - Stegosaurus, 2022
- 2 oz Silver, America the Free - Statue of Liberty, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Great White Shark, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Great Hammerhead Shark, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Deep - Tiger Shark, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Bald Eagle, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Red-Tailed Hawk, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Hunters of the Sky - Horned Owl, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Santa Claus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, U.F.O., 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Giant Seahorse, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Whale Shark, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Giants of the Galápagos - Galápagos Tortoise, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - African Elephant, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - African Lion, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - Nile Crocodile, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Animals of Africa - Black Rhino, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Guitar Pick, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Surf Green Colour, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Black Colour, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Nutcracker, 2021