|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2020 Prehistoric Life - Mamenchisaurus|
The Democratic Republic of the Congo normally uses banknotes for circulation, and does not issue coins in the Congolese Franc currency. However, the country has authorised some foreign mints to issue commemorative and bullion coins under its jurisdiction.
Most of them are in internationally popular sizes, including the half gram of gold mini-coin format - such as this coin.
This coin is the third issue in the Prehistoric Life series of premium bullion and collector coins, and features Mamenchisaurus.
The herbivore Mamenchisaurus lived in China during the Upper Jurassic period and is especially known for its extremely long neck, which consisted of up to 19 cervical vertebrae. The neck thus made up about half of the total length of the dinosaur, which could reach up to 22 metres. Fossil remains of the large sauropod were first found in 1952 on a road construction site in Sichuan province.
Within a beaded border, the obverse of the coin depicts the Coat of Arms of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which consists of a leopard head surrounded by an elephant tusk to the left and a spear to the right. On a ribbon below, the national motto JUSTICE PAIX TRAVAIL (from French: Justice, Peace, Work).
Below the Coat of Arms, in small letters the precious metal of the coin: 0.5 g Au 999.9 (half gram of 99.99% gold; Au is abbreviated from Aurum, the Latin word for gold).
Around above, the name of the country: REPUBLIQUE DEMOCATIQUE DU CONGO.
Around below, the nominal face value of the coin: · 100 FRANCS ·.
The reverse design features a depiction of two Mamenchisaurus, two smaller dinosaurs on the ground, and a pterosaurus in flight, in a primeval landscape. Above them are the inscriptions MAMENCHISAURUS and 160 - 145 MIO YEARS BC (i.e. the species lived from about 160 until about 145 million years ago), and the year of issue 2020.
Around above near the rim, the name of the series: PREHISTORIC LIFE.
||PREHISTORIC LIFE 2020 MAMENCHISAURUS 160 - 145 MIO YEARS BC
Packaging: in a protective capsule.
Coins in the Prehistoric Life series include:
- 0.5 g Gold, T-Rex, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, T-Rex, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Titanoboa, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Titanoboa, 2023
- 0.5 g Gold, Dunkleosteus, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Dunkleosteus, 2023