|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2021 Prehistoric Life - Quetzalcoatlus|
The Democratic Republic of the Congo normally uses banknotes for circulation, and does not issue coins in the Congolese Franc currency. However, the country has authorised some foreign mints to issue commemorative and bullion coins under its jurisdiction.
Most of them are in internationally popular sizes, including the half gram of gold mini-coin format - such as this coin.
This coin is the sixth issue in the Prehistoric Life series of premium bullion and collector coins, and features Quetzalcoatlus.
Quetzalcoatlus belongs to the genus of pterosaurs and was one of the largest flying animals in the history of the Earth. It lived in the late Upper Cretaceous in North America and could reach a wingspan from 11 to 13 meters. The pterosaur's hollow bones allowed it to be relatively light. Among researchers, it is believed that the weight was about only 70 to 200 kilograms. Although they lived together with the dinosaurs, the appearance of a Quetzalcoatlus is often compared to a feathered snake - hence it name, derived from Quetzalcoatl ("feathered serpent" or "plumed serpent") which is the Nahuatl name for the Feathered-Serpent deity of ancient Mesoamerican culture.
Within a beaded border, the obverse of the coin depicts the Coat of Arms of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which consists of a leopard head surrounded by an elephant tusk to the left and a spear to the right. On a ribbon below, the national motto JUSTICE PAIX TRAVAIL (from French: Justice, Peace, Work).
Below the Coat of Arms, in small letters the precious metal of the coin: 0.5 g Au 999.9 (half gram of 99.99% gold; Au is abbreviated from Aurum, the Latin word for gold).
Around above, the name of the country: REPUBLIQUE DEMOCATIQUE DU CONGO.
Around below, the nominal face value of the coin: · 100 FRANCS ·.
The reverse design depicts the Quetzalcoatlus in flight. A mountainous landscape with other individuals is depicted in the background.
Above his spread wings are the inscriptions QUETZALCOATLUS and 72 - 66 MIO YEARS BC (i.e. the species lived from about 72 until about 66 million years ago), and the year of issue 2021.
Around above near the rim, the name of the series: PREHISTORIC LIFE.
||PREHISTORIC LIFE QUETZALCOATLUS 72 - 66 MIO YEARS BC 2021
Packaging: in a protective capsule.
Coins in the Prehistoric Life series include:
- 0.5 g Gold, T-Rex, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, T-Rex, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Titanoboa, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Titanoboa, 2023
- 0.5 g Gold, Dunkleosteus, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Dunkleosteus, 2023