|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2021 Prehistoric Life - Archaeopteryx|
The Democratic Republic of the Congo normally uses banknotes for circulation, and does not issue coins in the Congolese Franc currency. However, the country has authorised some foreign mints to issue commemorative and bullion coins under its jurisdiction.
Most of them are in internationally popular sizes, including the half gram of gold mini-coin format - such as this coin.
This coin is the fifth issue in the Prehistoric Life series of premium bullion and collector coins, and features the Archaeopteryx (Archaeopteryx lithographica).
Archaeopteryx is the extinct representative of the primordial birds and lived on Earth about 150 million years ago in the Upper Jurassic period. Its name originates from ancient Greek and translates as "old feather" or "old wing". The ancestral bird is comparable in size to a pigeon, researchers suspect a wingspan of about 50 centimetres and a body weight of no more than 500 grams. Until today, there is a disagreement about the flying skills of Archaeopteryx. It is assumed that he moved mainly on the ground by fast hopping and only occasionally took off into the air.
Within a beaded border, the obverse of the coin depicts the Coat of Arms of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which consists of a leopard head surrounded by an elephant tusk to the left and a spear to the right. On a ribbon below, the national motto JUSTICE PAIX TRAVAIL (from French: Justice, Peace, Work).
Below the Coat of Arms, in small letters the precious metal of the coin: 0.5 g Au 999.9 (half gram of 99.99% gold; Au is abbreviated from Aurum, the Latin word for gold).
Around above, the name of the country: REPUBLIQUE DEMOCATIQUE DU CONGO.
Around below, the nominal face value of the coin: · 100 FRANCS ·.
The reverse design depicts the prehistoric bird holding on to a branch with its claws. Above its spread wings are the inscriptions ARCHAEOPTERYX and 152 - 145 MIO YEARS BC (i.e. the species lived from about 152 until about 145 million years ago), and the year of issue 2021.
Around above near the rim, the name of the series: PREHISTORIC LIFE.
||PREHISTORIC LIFE ARCHAEOPTERYX 152 - 145 MIO YEARS BC 2021
Packaging: in a protective capsule.
Coins in the Prehistoric Life series include:
- 0.5 g Gold, T-Rex, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, T-Rex, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Titanoboa, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Titanoboa, 2023
- 0.5 g Gold, Dunkleosteus, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Dunkleosteus, 2023