|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2022 Prehistoric Life - Liopleurodon|
The Democratic Republic of the Congo normally uses banknotes for circulation, and does not issue coins in the Congolese Franc currency. However, the country has authorised some foreign mints to issue commemorative and bullion coins under its jurisdiction.
Most of them are in internationally popular sizes, including the half gram of gold mini-coin format - such as this coin.
This coin is the eighth issue in the Prehistoric Life series of premium bullion and collector coins, and features the Liopleurodon.
The Liopleurodon belongs to the genus of pliosaurs from the Middle to Upper Jurassic period and lived in Europe and South America. It could reach an average length of 12 meters and is thus considered the largest scientifically described pliosaur. According to researchers, their powerful jaws and strong teeth indicate that they fed less on fish and more on larger prey such as other marine reptiles. As a result, they were probably among the apex predators of their time. The first evidence of the species was discovered in 1873 by Henri-Émile Sauvage from a single tooth near Boulogne-sur-Mer in northern France.
Within a beaded border, the obverse of the coin depicts the Coat of Arms of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which consists of a leopard head surrounded by an elephant tusk to the left and a spear to the right. On a ribbon below, the national motto JUSTICE PAIX TRAVAIL (from French: Justice, Peace, Work).
Below the Coat of Arms, in small letters the precious metal of the coin: 0.5 g Au 999.9 (half gram of 99.99% gold; Au is abbreviated from Aurum, the Latin word for gold).
Around above, the name of the country: REPUBLIQUE DEMOCATIQUE DU CONGO.
Around below, the nominal face value of the coin: · 100 FRANCS ·.
The reverse design features a Liopleurodon swimming in the ocean above corals. Above, the inscriptions LIOPLEURODON and 166 - 163.5 MIO YEARS BC (i.e. the species lived from about 166 to 163.5 million years ago), and the year of issue 2022.
Around above near the rim, the name of the series: PREHISTORIC LIFE.
||PREHISTORIC LIFE LIOPLEURODON 166 - 163.5 MIO YEARS BC 2022
Packaging: in a protective capsule.
Coins in the Prehistoric Life series include:
- 0.5 g Gold, T-Rex, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, T-Rex, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Plesiosaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, Mamenchisaurus, 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Woolly Mammoth, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Archaeopteryx, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, Quetzalcoatlus, 2021
- 0.5 g Gold, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Gigantopithecus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Liopleurodon, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 1 oz Silver, Parasaurolophus, 2022
- 0.5 g Gold, Titanoboa, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Titanoboa, 2023
- 0.5 g Gold, Dunkleosteus, 2023
- 1 oz Silver, Dunkleosteus, 2023