|Coin||Silver Ounce 2009 HMS Bounty|
The Cook Islands, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar circulates in parallel with the local Cook Islands Dollar; at the same time, the government also authorises many legal tender coins in the Cook Islands Dollar currency for collector's purposes or for investment. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, including one ounce of silver - such as this coin.
This coin is the first in a series of bullion coins and bars featuring HMS Bounty.
HMS Bounty, also known as His Majesty's Armed Vessel (HMAV) Bounty, was a small merchant vessel that the Royal Navy purchased in 1787 for a botanical mission. The ship was sent to the South Pacific Ocean under the command of William Bligh to acquire breadfruit plants and transport them to the West Indies. That mission was never completed owing to a 1789 mutiny led by acting lieutenant Fletcher Christian, an incident now popularly known as the mutiny on the Bounty. The descendants of the mutineers and their Tahitian captives now live on Pitcairn Island.
The obverse of the coin shows at its centre the crowned bust of Queen Elizabeth II wearing a pearl necklace, facing right (her effigy known as the "Third Portrait", by Raphael David Maklouf). The portrait seems re-cut and not true to the original.
The designer's initials are usually incuse in tiny letters on the neck truncation when this portrait is used, but they are not displayed here.
Around above, the monarch's legend ELIZABETH II COOK ISLANDS; below, the date of issue 2009.
The reverse of the coin shows the sailing ship HMS Bounty (also known as HMAV Bounty), sailing to left, flying the British ensign.
Below the ship, the face value 1 DOLLAR.
Around below, the precious metal content 1 OZ FINE SILVER .999 (one troy ounce of 99.9% silver).
||1 DOLLAR 1 OZ FINE SILVER .999
No primary information is available for this coin series. It seems that coins and bars are issued by Sunshine Minting in the US; some bars have also been issued with the same design by a German company.
Bullion coins and bars featuring HMS Bounty:
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2022
- 1/10 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1/10 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2009
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2010
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2011
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2013
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2014
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2015
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (Old Design), 2016
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (New Design), 2016
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (Old Design), 2017
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (New Design), 2017
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2018
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2022
- 1/4 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1/10 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021