|Coin||Silver Ounce 2015 HMS Bounty|
The Cook Islands, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar circulates in parallel with the local Cook Islands Dollar; at the same time, the government also authorises many legal tender coins in the Cook Islands Dollar currency for collector's purposes or for investment. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, including one ounce of silver - such as this coin.
This coin is part of a large range of bullion coins and bars featuring HMS Bounty.
HMS Bounty, also known as His Majesty's Armed Vessel (HMAV) Bounty, was a small merchant vessel that the Royal Navy purchased in 1787 for a botanical mission. The ship was sent to the South Pacific Ocean under the command of William Bligh to acquire breadfruit plants and transport them to the West Indies. That mission was never completed owing to a 1789 mutiny led by acting lieutenant Fletcher Christian, an incident now popularly known as the mutiny on the Bounty. The descendants of the mutineers and their Tahitian captives now live on Pitcairn Island.
The obverse shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend and the date: ELIZABETH II COOK ISLANDS 2015.
The reverse of the coin shows the sailing ship HMS Bounty (also known as HMAV Bounty), sailing to left, flying the British ensign.
Below the ship, the face value 1 DOLLAR.
Around below, the precious metal content 1 OZ FINE SILVER .9999 (one troy ounce of 99.99% silver).
||1 DOLLAR 1 OZ FINE SILVER .9999
No primary information is available for this coin series. It seems that coins and bars are issued by Sunshine Minting in the US; some bars have also been issued with the same design by a German company.
Bullion coins and bars featuring HMS Bounty:
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2022
- 1/10 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1/10 oz Gold, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 2 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2009
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2010
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2011
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2013
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2014
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2015
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (Old Design), 2016
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (New Design), 2016
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (Old Design), 2017
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty (New Design), 2017
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2018
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2019
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2020
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2022
- 1/4 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021
- 1/10 oz Silver, HMS Bounty, 2021