|Coin||Gold Ounce 2020 Tree of Life|
Niue, a sovereign state in free association with New Zealand, uses two official legal tender currencies. The New Zealand Dollar is the circulation currency for daily transactions, while the government also authorises legal tender coins in the Niue Dollar currency for collector's purposes.
A number of mints issue a large variety of coins under the authority of Niue. Most of these are commemorative and collector issues dedicated to historical or general popular culture themes not related to Niue itself. Many of them are in standard bullion sizes, including one ounce of gold (abbreviated as 1 oz Au, where "Au" comes from the Latin word for gold, Aurum). Those issued at prices much higher than their bullion value are separately listed in the Non-Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) gold ounce section of the site.
Unlike them, this coin is targeted at bullion investors and was initially released at a price close to the value of its precious metal content.
This coin is part of the Truth Coin Series, produced by SD Bullion since 2018 and struck by Sunshine Minting, consisting of a Roaring Lion of Judah design and a Tree of Life design. The micro-graved "Truth" on the coins changes every year, with each year having its own unique scripture featured on the coin. The Roaring Lion is released earlier in the year compared to the Tree of Life and features the first half the Truth with the Tree of Life featuring the second half of the Truth. In addition, the coins of the Truth Coin Series contain high-level features that protect against the production of counterfeits.
The reverse features the Tree of Life with this year's micro-engraved truth on the lower left branch. You may need to use a magnification tool such as a coin loupe to see the truth which reads "FOR THE CAUSE OF TRUTH AND MEEKNESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS". There is an inscription below the tree that reads יהוה - Hebrew for Yahweh - The Memorial Name of the One Who Gives True Life.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II NIUE 250 DOLLARS 2020.
The reverse of the coin depicts the Tree of Life. In the Book of Genesis, the tree of life is described as being "in the midst of the Garden of Eden" with the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. After the fall of man, "lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever", cherubim and a flaming sword were placed at the east end of the Garden to guard the way to the tree of life.
Along the lower left branch of the tree, a micro-engraved inscription reads FOR THE CAUSE OF TRUTH AND MEEKNESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Below the tree, the inscription יהוה (Yahweh, God's name in Hebrew).
Around right, the precious metal content: ONE TROY OUNCE .9999 FINE GOLD.
||יהוה ONE TROY OUNCE .9999 FINE GOLD
Packaging: in display box, with Certificate of Authenticity.
Coins in the Truth Series include:
- 1 oz Platinum Reverse Proof, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2021
- 1 oz Platinum Reverse Proof, Tree of Life, 2021
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2020
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Tree of Life, 2020
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2021
- 1 oz Gold Proof, Tree of Life, 2021
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2019
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2019
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2020
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2020
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2021
- 5 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Roaring Lion of Judah, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Tree of Life, 2021