|Coin||Platinum Tenth-Ounce 2018 Britannia|
Like many other mints, the Royal Mint issues bullion coins in precious metals, having much higher intrinsic value than their face value. The tenth-ounce (1/10 oz) platinum coins are denominated as Ten Pounds (£10).
The coins are legal tender, but are not intended for circulation. They are targeted at bullion investors or collectors who appreciate the special editions as pieces of art.
Coins of the Britannia type have been issued in gold since 1987 and in silver since 1997; platinum was added to the mix with special editions in 2007 and 2008, then in 2018 the Royal Mint started issuing the platinum tenth-ounce format as a regular bullion coin, using the "definitive" Standing Britannia design by Philip Nathan.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait").
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the effigy is the monarch's legend: ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · F · D · 10 POUNDS ·. Translated from Latin: Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen, Defender of the Faith, followed by the value and denomination in English.
The obverse has a textured background ("guilloche" geometric pattern).
At centre, the standing figure of Britannia - the female personification of Great Britain, facing left, with flowing robes, wearing a crested Corinthian helmet pushed back to reveal her face. She is holding a trident in her right hand; her left hand rests on a shield decorated with the cross of the Union Jack, and holds an olive branch. She is standing on a rock, with sea waves in the background.
Around, interrupted by the trident, the inscription ' BRITANNIA ' 2018 ' 1/10 oz ' 999.5 ' PLATINUM '.
The artist's surname NATHAN (Philip Nathan) is in relief in small letters on the rock under Britannia's feet.
The central part of the reverse has a textured background of a pattern of concentric waves radiating out from the centre ("a speckled sunburst").
Coins from the Britannia 2018 series (different designs for proof and bullion):
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion (£100), Britannia 2018
- 1/4 oz Platinum Proof (£25), Britannia 2018
- 1/10 oz Platinum Bullion (£10), Britannia 2018
- 5 oz Gold Proof (£500), Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Gold Bullion (£100), Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Gold Bullion (£100) Oriental version, Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof (£100), Britannia 2018
- 1/2 oz Gold Bullion (£50), Britannia 2018
- 1/2 oz Gold Proof (£50), Britannia 2018
- 1/4 oz Gold Bullion (£25), Britannia 2018
- 1/4 oz Gold Proof (£25), Britannia 2018
- 1/10 oz Gold Bullion (£10), Britannia 2018
- 1/10 oz Gold Proof (£10), Britannia 2018
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof (£1), Britannia 2018
- 1/40 oz Gold Proof (50p), Britannia 2018
- 1 kg Silver Proof (£500), Britannia 2018
- 5 oz Silver Proof (£10), Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (£2), Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (£2) Oriental version, Britannia 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof (£2), Britannia 2018
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof (£1), Britannia 2018
- 1/4 oz Silver Proof (50p), Britannia 2018
- 1/10 oz Silver Proof (20p), Britannia 2018
- 1/20 oz Silver Proof (10p), Britannia 2018
- 1/40 oz Silver Proof (5p), Britannia 2018