|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2020 Mini Roo|
The Australian gold half gram coin is a mini-coin format occasionally used to complement issues in larger sizes. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and have long-running bullion series of coins with different themes. As part of these, they sometimes issue a mini-version of the theme's annual design.
This half gram gold mini-coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint.
The Mint says about it:
Struck from 0.5g of 99.99% pure gold, this highly affordable Australian Legal Tender coin is an accessible celebration of the nation’s most popular animal. The coin’s reverse portrays an adult kangaroo with a joey in the background.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the face value: ELIZABETH II 2020 AUSTRALIA · 2 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse portrays an adult kangaroo with a joey in the background; this is a miniaturised version of the main design for the year, and does not incorporate the vegetation which is seen on the larger coins or the name of the series.
On the right, the Perth Mint's mint mark P.
Around below, the precious metal content: 0.5 GRAM 9999 GOLD (half gram of 99.99% gold).
||0.5 GRAM 9999 GOLD
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, with lightly frosted surfaces.
Packaging: in a protective acrylic capsule incorporated within a colourful wallet-sized card
Perth Mint Item ID: 2001410AAD
Issue price: AU$ 85.00, US$ 61.31
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2020 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 2 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/2 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/4 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/10 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/20 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Silver, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver High Relief Coloured, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Gilded Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020