|Coin||Gold Half Gram 2019 Mini Roo|
The Australian gold half gram coin is a mini-coin format occasionally used to complement issues in larger sizes. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and have long-running bullion series of coins with different themes. As part of these, they sometimes issue a mini-version of the theme's annual design.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design. Due to its small size, its reverse represents only part of the design of the larger coins.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old bust of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown worn for her Coronation (effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide but "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, where the Queen's portrait by Vladimir Gottwald was fifth).
The Queen also wears the Coronation Necklace; originally made for Queen Victoria in 1858, it was also worn at the coronations (as Queen's Consort) of Queen Alexandra in 1902, Queen Mary in 1911 and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mother) in 1937.
Unlike on British coinage, the effigy is "uncouped" (includes the Queen's shoulders). In small letters on the left, the artist's initials JC (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the face value: ELIZABETH II 2019 AUSTRALIA · 2 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts a crouching adult kangaroo.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is on the right.
Around below, the precious metal content: 0.5 GRAM 9999 GOLD.
||0.5 GRAM 9999 GOLD
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, with lightly frosted surfaces.
Packaging: the coin is housed in a protective acrylic capsule and presented in a red and black wallet-sized card, on which is printed the Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth Mint Item ID: 1901410AAD
Issue price: AU$ 85.00, US$ 61.31
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2019 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 oz Gold High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/10 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 0.5 g Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 kg Silver Antique, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 5 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019