|Coin||Gold Kilo 2020 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian one kilo gold piece (abbreviated as 1 kg and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This massive one kilogram gold coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint.
The Mint says about it:
Of the range of five 2020 Australian Kangaroo Gold Bullion Coins the 1 kilo gold coin portrays the classic artistry of a bounding red kangaroo encircled by symbolic rays of sunshine.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 3000 DOLLARS ·.
The reverse features the classic realistic representation of a bounding Red Kangaroo with a starburst background (stylised rays of sunlight not quite reaching the centre). The P mint mark is below right.
Below the figure, RED KANGAROO.
Around above, the inscription AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 1 KILO 9999 GOLD.
Around below, the date of issue: · 2020 ·.
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 1 KILO 9999 GOLD · 2020 ·
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated.
Packaging: in a protective acrylic capsule.
Perth Mint Product Code: 20014AAAX
The reverse of the coin includes an authentication feature in the form of a micro-laser engraved letter. Contained within the coin’s inscription "AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO", this letter is only detectable under a magnifying glass.
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2020 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 2 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/2 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/4 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/10 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/20 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Silver, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver High Relief Coloured, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Gilded Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020