|Coin||Gold Half Ounce 2020 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian half-ounce gold piece (abbreviated as 1/2 oz and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design. It was issued in sets only.
First issued in 1989, the Australian Kangaroo is an iconic annual coin series portraying our most recognised animal symbol. Treasured for the way they hop on elongated hind legs and rear young "joeys" in the female’s pouch, tens of millions of kangaroos inhabit diverse landscapes across the vast Australian continent.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 50 DOLLARS ·.
The reverse of the coin portrays two kangaroos in the Australian Outback, framed by native "grass trees".
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is just above the ground below left. On the ground below right, the designer's initials AH, for Aleysha Howarth.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2020 1/2oz 9999 GOLD (one half of a troy ounce of 99.99% gold).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2020 1/2oz 9999 GOLD
Gold content (Troy oz): 0.500
Packaging: in coin set
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2020 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 2 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/2 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/4 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/10 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1/20 oz Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 0.5 g Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 5 oz Silver, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver High Relief Coloured, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Gilded Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2020