|Coin||Gold Tenth-Ounce 2012 Discover Australia - Whale Shark|
The Australian tenth-ounce gold piece (abbreviated as 1/10 oz and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This tenth-ounce gold coin is part of the 2012 Discover Australia Coin Series by the Perth Mint and features a Whale Shark.
Each of the five coin in the series depicts artistry inspired by the beautiful Australian landscape and its wildlife. The Whale Shark is the world’s biggest fish, yet despite its formidable size is considered harmless. Found in coastal waters and the lagoons of coral atolls and reefs, the upper body of the Whale Shark is blue-grey to brown in colour, with light spots. Boasting some 3,000 tiny teeth, the Whale Shark is a filter feeder, sieving food through its gills. This majestic creature was not discovered until 1828, although the species is actually millions of years old.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 15 DOLLARS ·.
The coin's reverse depicts a Whale Shark swimming through the ocean.
Around above, the inscription DISCOVER AUSTRALIA.
Around below, 2012 WHALE SHARK 1/10oz 9999 GOLD (one tenth of an ounce of 99.99% gold).
The P mint mark of the Perth Mint is to the left. The designer's initials TV (for Tom Vaughan) are on the shark's pelvic fin.
||DISCOVER AUSTRALIA 2012 WHALE SHARK 1/10oz 9999 GOLD
This coin was issued individually boxed, or in a set with other members of the series.
Packaging (individual coin): presentation box with a timber lid and illustrated shipper, with numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth Mint Item ID: 1217GEAA
Issue price: AU$ 295.00
|Issued in Set|
|Discover Australia 2012 1/10oz Gold Five-Coin Set, mintage unknown
5 coins: 1/10oz Gold, Red Kangaroo, 1/1oz Gold, Whale Shark, 1/10oz Gold, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 1/10oz Gold, Goanna, 1/10oz Gold, Kookaburra
Coins issued in the Discover Australia 2012 series include:
- 1/10oz Platinum, Red Kangaroo, 2012
- 1/2oz Gold, Red Kangaroo, 2012
- 1/10oz Gold, Red Kangaroo, 2012
- 1/25oz Gold, Red Kangaroo, 2012
- 1oz Silver, Red Kangaroo, 2012
- 1/10oz Platinum, Whale Shark, 2012
- 1/2oz Gold, Whale Shark, 2012
- 1/10oz Gold, Whale Shark, 2012
- 1/25oz Gold, Whale Shark, 2012
- 1oz Silver, Whale Shark, 2012
- 1/10oz Platinum, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 2012
- 1/2oz Gold, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 2012
- 1/10oz Gold, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 2012
- 1/25oz Gold, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 2012
- 1oz Silver, Green and Gold Bell Frog, 2012
- 1/10oz Platinum, Goanna, 2012
- 1/2oz Gold, Goanna, 2012
- 1/10oz Gold, Goanna, 2012
- 1/25oz Gold, Goanna, 2012
- 1oz Silver, Goanna, 2012
- 1/10oz Platinum, Kookaburra, 2012
- 1/2oz Gold, Kookaburra, 2012
- 1/10oz Gold, Kookaburra, 2012
- 1/25oz Gold, Kookaburra, 2012
- 1oz Silver, Kookaburra, 2012