|Coin||Gold Twentieth-Ounce 2018 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian twentieth-ounce gold piece (abbreviated as 1/20 oz and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design. It was only issued as part of a five-coin set and not individually.
The Mint says about the set:
The Perth Mint’s most prestigious annual collectable offering, this remarkable set incorporates five flawless gold proof coins depicting Australia’s most famous native animal. Subject to a very low issue limit, the highly desirable set comprises a 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz coin. Three sizes are only available as part of the set.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 5 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts two kangaroos bounding across a stylised rural landscape.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is on the rim to the right. To the left of the kangaroos, the designer's initials NH, for Neil Hollis.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2018 1/20oz 9999 GOLD (one twentieth of a troy ounce of 99.99% gold).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2018 1/20oz 9999 GOLD
Packaging: in mint set only.
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2018 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 kg Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 2 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/10 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 0.5 g Gold, Mini Roo 2018
- 5 oz Silver Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018