|Coin||Gold Twentieth-Ounce 2019 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian twentieth-ounce gold piece (abbreviated as 1/20 oz and designated with Au for "gold") is a bullion coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design. It was issued as part of a five-coin gold set featuring five different sizes with the same reverse design.
The Mint says about it:
Built on The Perth Mint’s long-standing tradition of quality minted products, this remarkable set incorporates five flawless gold proof coins depicting Australia’s unique hopping marsupial. The 99.99% pure gold collection comprises a 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz coin with an appealing reverse design depicting a crouching adult kangaroo. The 1/2oz, 1/10oz and 1/20oz sizes are only available as part of this set.
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 5 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts an adult kangaroo crouching in front of a rural landscape, framed by stylised trees under the Australian sun.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is just above the ground below left. On the ground below right, the designer's initials AH, for Aleysha Howarth.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2019 1/20oz 9999 GOLD (one twentieth of a troy ounce of 99.99% gold).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2019 1/20oz 9999 GOLD
Gold content (Troy oz): 0.050
Packaging: in coin set
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2019 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 oz Gold High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/10 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 0.5 g Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 kg Silver Antique, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 5 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019