|Coin||Silver Five Ounces 2018 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian five ounces silver piece (abbreviated as 5 oz and designated with Ag for "silver") is a bullion and commemorative coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design.
The Mint says about it:
The 2018 Australian Kangaroo design features on this impressive 5oz silver coin struck in brilliant high relief.The reverse of the coin depicts two kangaroos in a stylised rural landscape. The coin’s high relief reverse and obverse are minted on concave surfaces to ensure the optimum flow of metal is achieved by the strike of the die.
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In tiny letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 8 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts two kangaroos bounding across a stylised rural landscape.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is on the rim to the right. To the left of the kangaroos, the designer's initials NH, for Neil Hollis.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2018 5oz 9999 SILVER (five troy ounces of 99.99% silver).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2018 5oz 9999 SILVER
Silver content (Troy oz): 5.000
Finish: proof, high relief, concave surfaces
Packaging: classic presentation packaging within a themed shipper, accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth Mint Item ID: 18324KAAA
Issue price: AU$ 575.00, US$ 387.77
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2018 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 kg Gold, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 2 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/10 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 0.5 g Gold, Mini Roo 2018
- 5 oz Silver Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2018
- 1/2 oz Silver Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2018