|Coin||Silver Five Ounces 2019 Australian Kangaroo|
The Australian five ounces silver piece (abbreviated as 5 oz and designated with Ag for "silver") is a bullion and commemorative coin format. Uniquely, in Australia there are two mints authorised to strike legal tender: the Royal Australian Mint (which also makes the country's circulating coinage) and the Perth Mint which only makes collector and bullion coins, as well as other bullion products.
Both mints endeavour to create coins with attractive designs, and to introduce new designs and themes often, in order to raise the numismatic value of the coins over the value of previous metal used.
This coin is part of the long-running Australian Kangaroo bullion coin series by the Perth Mint, and is a "numismatic" issue with a one-year design.
The Mint says about it:
An extremely limited mintage of 500 is certain to make this spectacular 5oz silver coin highly sought after by collectors of Australian fauna. The exceptional detail that is characteristic of a high relief strike elevates the charming design portraying Australia’s most famous native marsupial.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin depicts the crowned old head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown and the Victoria Coronation necklace worn for her Coronation. This is her effigy known as the "Fifth Portrait" worldwide and "Sixth Portrait" in Australia, in "uncouped" version - showing the Queen's shoulders and not terminating at the neck as the normal version.
On the left, in small letters on the Queen's shoulder, the artist's initials J.C (for Jody Clark).
Running continuously around the rim is the monarch's legend and the face value: ELIZABETH II AUSTRALIA · 8 DOLLARS ·.
The coin’s reverse depicts an adult kangaroo crouching in front of a rural landscape, framed by stylised trees under the Australian sun.
The Perth Mint’s P mint mark is just above the ground below left. On the ground below right, the designer's initials AH, for Aleysha Howarth.
Around above, the name of the coin series: AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO. Around below, the date of issue and the precious metal content: 2019 5oz 9999 SILVER (five troy ounces of 99.99% silver).
||AUSTRALIAN KANGAROO 2019 5oz 9999 SILVER
Silver content (Troy oz): 5.000
Finish: proof, high relief
Packaging: in classic display case with a clear lid within an illustrated shipper, accompanied by a numbered Certificate of Authenticity.
Perth Mint Item ID: 19324KAAA
Issue price: AU$ 575.00, US$ 400.22
Coins in the Australian Kangaroo 2019 series by the Perth Mint include:
- 1 oz Platinum Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 kg Gold Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 oz Gold High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold Proof High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/2 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/4 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/10 oz Gold (Bullion and Proof), Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1/20 oz Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 0.5 g Gold Proof, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 2 kg Silver Antique, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 5 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver High Relief, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Proof Gilded, Australian Kangaroo 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Australian Kangaroo 2019