|Coin||One Dollar 2019 The Simpsons Family|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the one dollar denomination, and have the same specifications that the mint uses for its large non-circulating Australian dollar range; these are larger than the normal circulating dollar coins.
This coin is part of a long-running series by the Perth Mint featuring characters from The Simpsons cartoons, and shows the whole family.
The Mint says about it:
Fans of the worldwide pop-culture phenomenon The Simpsons are sure to fall in love with this unique collectable, featuring a $1 Aluminium bronze coin. Introduced in 1987, the Simpson family originally appeared in 30-second segments on The Tracey Ullman Show. Two years later, The Simpsons premiered as a half-hour series and instantly became a worldwide pop-culture phenomenon, now seen across 60 countries in 20 languages. In 2018, The Simpsons reached an incredible milestone by becoming the longest-running prime-time scripted show in television history.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1 DOLLAR TUVALU 2019.
The coin’s reverse is coloured and portrays The Simpsons with their pet greyhound, Santa’s Little Helper, and their pet cat, Snowball II, in front of their house.
Below left, the signature of the creator of the show, Matt Groening. On the right, the Perth Mint’s P mint mark. Around above right, the copyright acknowledgement TM & © 2019 FOX..
The face value and date of issue are on the obverse.
||Matt Groening TM & © 2019 FOX.
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated.
Packaging: in Postal Numismatic Cover (PNC). The colourful envelope portrays an image of the smiling family and is marked with an official $1 Australia Post birthday themed stamp. The postmark portrays The Simpsons logo along with the first date of issue, 31 October 2019, Melbourne VIC, 3000.
Perth Mint SKU: 19G62AAA
Issue price: AU$ 24.95, US$ 17.93
Coins issued by the Perth Mint featuring The Simpsons include (ordered by metal / size / year):
- 1 oz Gold Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2020
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, The Simpsons Family, 2019
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Homer Simpson, 2021
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Marge Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Bart Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Lisa Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Maggie Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Can Shaped, Duff Beer, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Donut Shaped, Pink Donut, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Krusty the Clown, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, The Simpsons Family, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Marge and Maggie, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Itchy and Scratchy, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Krustylu Studios, 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Treehouse of Horror, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with coloured version), The Simpsons - Season’s Greetings, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Marge Simpson, 2022
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2020
- $1 AlBr, The Simpsons Family, 2019