|Coin||Silver Ounce 2022 The Simpsons - Homer Simpson|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the silver ounce format (abbreviated as 1 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
This coin is part of a long running series by the Perth Mint featuring characters from The Simpsons cartoons, and shows Homer Simpson.
The Mint says about it:
Struck from 1oz of 99.99% pure silver, this official licensed coin will appeal to fans of Homer, star of The Simpsons hit television show. The longest-running prime-time scripted show in television history, The Simpsons is a worldwide pop-culture phenomenon enjoyed across 200 countries in 27 languages. In 2018,The Simpsons reached an incredible milestone becoming the longest-running prime-time scripted show in television history.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1 oz 9999 Ag 2022 TUVALU 1 DOLLAR.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content. "1 oz 9999 Ag" means "one troy ounce of 99.99% silver" ("Ag" is abbreviated from Argentum, the Latin word for silver).
The coin’s reverse portrays a smiling Homer Simpson, star of The Simpsons hit television show.
Around above, the inscription HOMER SIMPSON is incuse (meaning the letters have been pressed below the surface of the coin and are not in relief as is usually the case).
Below left, the signature of the creator of the show, Matt Groening. On the right, the Perth Mint’s P mint mark. Around below right, the copyright acknowledgement ©20TV (20th Television).
The precious metal content, face value and date of issue are on the obverse.
||HOMER SIMPSON Matt Groening ©20TV
Silver Content (Troy oz): 1.000
Finish: bullion (Brilliant Uncirculated).
Packaging: individual coin in plastic capsule, or 20 in sealed mint roll.
Date of issue: 5 July 2022.
Issue price: US$ 31.40
Coins issued by the Perth Mint featuring The Simpsons include (ordered by metal / size / year):
- 1 oz Gold Bullion, Homer Simpson 2020
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, The Simpsons Family 2019
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Homer Simpson 2021
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Bart Simpson 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Marge Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Bart Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Lisa Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Maggie Simpson 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Can Shaped, Duff Beer 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Donut Shaped, Pink Donut 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Krusty the Clown 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, The Simpsons Family 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Marge and Maggie 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Itchy and Scratchy 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Bart Simpson 2022
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson 2020
- $1 AlBr, The Simpsons Family 2019