|Coin||Silver Half Ounce 2020 The Simpsons - Homer Simpson|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the half ounce silver format (abbreviated as 1/2 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
This coin is part of a long-running series by the Perth Mint featuring characters from The Simpsons cartoons, and shows Homer Simpson (or, as the Mint puts it, "pays homage to Homer").
The Mint says about it:
The latest release in our popular The Simpsons coin program, this 1/2oz silver coin’s design perfectly represents Homer Simpson’s "everyman" personality. Enthusiasts of The Simpsons will appreciate this coin’s depiction of the often reckless yet lovable husband and father, Homer.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1/2 oz 9999 Ag 2020 TUVALU 50 CENTS.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content. "1/2 oz 9999 Ag" means "one half of a troy ounce of 99.99% silver" ("Ag" is abbreviated from Argentum, the Latin word for silver).
The coin’s reverse is coloured and portrays cartoon character Homer Simpson smiling in front of his workplace, a nuclear plant, as it expels smoke in the background.
Above left, the signature of the creator of the show, Matt Groening. Below right, the Perth Mint’s P mint mark. Around below, the copyright acknowledgement ©20CF (20th Century Fox).
The precious metal content, face value and date of issue are on the obverse.
||Matt Groening ©20CF
Silver Content (Troy oz): 0.500
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated, coloured.
Packaging: in blister card.
Perth Mint SKU: 20G31AAD
Issue price: AU$ 44.00, US$ 31.61
Coins issued by the Perth Mint featuring The Simpsons include (ordered by metal / size / year):
- 1 oz Gold Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2020
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, The Simpsons Family, 2019
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Homer Simpson, 2021
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Marge Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Bart Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Lisa Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Maggie Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Can Shaped, Duff Beer, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Donut Shaped, Pink Donut, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Krusty the Clown, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, The Simpsons Family, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Marge and Maggie, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Itchy and Scratchy, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Krustylu Studios, 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Treehouse of Horror, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with coloured version), The Simpsons - Season’s Greetings, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Marge Simpson, 2022
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2020
- $1 AlBr, The Simpsons Family, 2019