|Coin||Gold Ounce 2020 The Simpsons - Homer Simpson|
The Tuvaluan Dollar is the currency of Tuvalu - a small nation in the Pacific Ocean. Tuvalu has never had banknotes of its own, and has been issuing coins since 1976; these circulate together with coins of the Australian Dollar, which is also legal tender in the country, and to which the Tuvaluan Dollar is pegged.
The Australian Perth Mint issues a large variety of non-circulating legal tender coins under the authority of Tuvalu. Some of these are in the gold ounce format (abbreviated as 1 oz). Strictly speaking, they are not bullion as they are priced at a premium and are targeted at collectors who appreciate them for their artistic merit and collectable value and not just for their precious metal content.
This coin is part of a long-running series by the Perth Mint featuring characters from The Simpsons cartoons, and shows Homer Simpson (or, as the Mint puts it, "pays homage to Homer").
The Mint says about it:
The first gold coin to be released as part of our exclusive program celebrating The Simpsons, this 1oz gold release portrays Homer’s iconic catchphrase.
First introduced in 1987, The Simpson family originally appeared in 30-second segments on The Tracey Ullman Show. Two years later, The Simpsons premiered as a half hour-series and instantly became a worldwide pop-culture phenomenon, now seen in 60 countries in 20 languages. In 2018, The Simpsons reached an incredible milestone becoming the longest-running prime-time scripted show in television history. Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has won 33 Emmy Awards, 34 Annie Awards, a 2017 People's Choice Award and was the first animated series to win a Peabody Award. The Simpsons is a Gracie Films Production in association with 20th Century Fox Television. James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, and Al Jean are the Executive Producers.
||Mint Mark||Letter P
The obverse of the coin shows the crowned mature head of Queen Elizabeth II facing right (her effigy known as the "Fourth Portrait"). The Queen wears the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" diamond tiara, a wedding gift from Queen Mary (Her Majesty's grandmother) in 1947 - which she also has on the Machin and the Gottwald portraits.
In small letters below the head, the artist's initials IRB (for Ian Rank-Broadley).
Around the effigy is the monarch's legend, the date of issue and the value: QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1 oz 9999 GOLD 2020 TUVALU 100 DOLLARS.
The inscription around the rim also incorporates the precious metal content. "1 oz 9999 GOLD" means "one troy ounce of 99.99% gold".
The coin’s reverse portrays the word D’OH! above Homer Simpson in his iconic catchphrase pose. A half-eaten glazed donut with sprinkles, Homer’s favourite treat, replaces the letter O in D’OH. The background features sprinkles from Homer’s famous donut.
Below left, the signature of the creator of the show, Matt Groening. Above right, the Perth Mint’s P mint mark. Around right, the copyright acknowledgement TM & © 2019 FOX..
The precious metal content, face value and date of issue are on the obverse.
||D’OH! Matt Groening TM & © 2019 FOX.
Gold Content (Troy oz): 1.000
Finish: Brilliant Uncirculated.
Packaging: in blister card.
Perth Mint SKU: 20G30AAD
Coins issued by the Perth Mint featuring The Simpsons include (ordered by metal / size / year):
- 1 oz Gold Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2020
- 2 oz Silver Coloured, The Simpsons Family, 2019
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Homer Simpson, 2021
- 2 oz Silver High Relief, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Marge Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Bart Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Lisa Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured, Maggie Simpson, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Can Shaped, Duff Beer, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Donut Shaped, Pink Donut, 2019
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Krusty the Clown, 2020
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, The Simpsons Family, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Marge and Maggie, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Itchy and Scratchy, 2021
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Proof Coloured, Krustylu Studios, 2022
- 1 oz Silver BU Coloured, Treehouse of Horror, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Bullion (with coloured version), The Simpsons - Season’s Greetings, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Bart Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Homer Simpson, 2022
- 1 oz Silver Coloured Mini, Marge Simpson, 2022
- 1/2 oz Silver Coloured, Homer Simpson, 2020
- $1 AlBr, The Simpsons Family, 2019